BNY Mellon Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Senior Managing Counsel, OPPRA Finance and Treasury Support
Team Description: (Overview of the team)
The Office of Public Policy and Regulatory Affairs (OPPRA) manages BNY Mellon’s response to global regulatory reform and advises on supervisory and regulatory issues. The OPPRA sets and executes the company’s policy and regulatory priorities around the world and works closely with External Affairs, Risk, Compliance and Finance functions, and each line of business, to help BNY Mellon navigate through increased regulatory focus and change but also to manifest itself in regulatory intervention.
The OPPRA leads and coordinates advocacy efforts with regulators, policymakers and trade associations to ensure outcomes for BNY Mellon and the industry. The OPPRA identifies material regulatory initiatives and trends potentially impacting the business, and works with EMEA business leadership to set the policy agenda and priorities. The OPPRA plays a key role in preparing and co-ordinating communications and handling non-standard supervisory issues, aligned with compliance and lines of business.
Job Purpose: (What the job role involves)
This lawyer will be a senior experienced lawyer with responsibility for legal, regulatory and supervisory guidance to the Finance and Corporate Treasury functions supporting the subsidiaries and branches of The Bank of New York Mellon in EMEA.
You will be responsible for (i) advice and counsel on supervisory and regulatory issues for EMEA Finance and Corporate Treasury, (ii) legal support for EMEA regulatory change implementation and remediation projects impacting EMEA Finance and Corporate Treasury, (iii) advice to EMEA Finance and Corporate Treasury in relation to recovery and resolution planning matters and (iv) advice to EMEA Finance and Corporate Treasury on prudential and regulatory capital matters. Although the role spans all business lines, it will primarily be focused on the Investment Services & Markets business areas.
You will coordinate work with other lawyers in the EMEA Legal department, and jurisdictional specific lawyers, to deliver a high standard of legal advice that is tailored to BNYM’s business models.
Responsibilities: (Key parts to the job role)
Responsibilities will include:
- legal support and strategic advice for the EMEA Finance and Corporate Treasury functions including in relation to responsiveness, content and quality of responses to requests and requirements of national regulators and supervisors;
- legal support and strategic leadership, advice and guidance for The Bank of New York implementation projects for regulatory remediation, regulatory change programmes and compliance with national legislation and regulation for the EMEA Finance and Corporate Treasury functions,;
- legal support and strategic advice for the EMEA Finance and Corporate Treasury functions in relation to prudential and regulatory capital matters;
- thought leadership to senior management of the EMEA Finance and Corporate Treasury functions regarding regulatory relationships and requirements; and
- review and/or drafting of internal policies and position papers and external comment and response letters in connection with regulatory proposals and industry initiatives in relation to the EMEA Finance and Corporate Treasury functions.
- The Senior Managing Counsel will regularly advise senior management and engage with regulators and external advisers including legal counsel and consultants. The individual will be required to represent OPPRA (and wider EMEA Legal) in key committees.
Key relationships / stakeholders:
- EMEA Finance and Corporate Treasury;
- wider OPPRA team members in EMEA and globally, including in relation to developing policy and advocacy positions in respect of regulatory initiatives;
- LOB and non-LOB coverage lawyers in the Legal division including in relation to departmental initiatives and responsibilities;
- Compliance colleagues;
- Credit and Risk colleagues;
- Office of Recovery and Resolution Planning: and
- Colleagues in the Corporate Project Management Office.
Requirements (what we are looking for):
The successful candidate will have at least 10 years PQE with a legal background in bank and/or broker dealer supervisory and regulatory matters in a UK or European regulatory agency or financial institution. Desired technical experience includes:
- Interpretation guidance in respect of statutes, directives, regulations and regulatory guidance;
- Advice to various levels of management on UK and European prudential regulation and related liquidity and regulatory capital requirements such as CRD, BRRD, and Basel IV requirements;
- Preparation of communications to regulators in relation to prudential matters including applications for waivers, mergers, capital reductions and similar;
- Assistance to business lines in relation to prudential matters arising in respect of regulatory change programmes including legal impact and gap analyses and supervisory trends;
- Assistance with preparation of policies and procedures to ensure compliance with applicable prudential requirements including but not limited to liquidity management policies, capital management policies, investment policies, liquidity stress testing and interest rate risk;
- Drafting of contractual revisions required to comply with prudential requirements;
- Supporting company responses to supervisory or enforcement actions and advising on remediation programmes in relation to prudential matters;
- Policy and advocacy efforts through meeting with and briefing regulatory agency staff, industry bodies (AGC, AFME, ISDA etc), drafting of comment letters in response to proposed regulations and monitoring of regulatory and legal developments in relation to prudential matters;
- Proven ability to lead and manage legal support for regulatory change and implementation projects;
- Experience of managing outside counsel on major deliverables; and
- Experience of participation in relevant industry bodies and informal peer networking forums.
The candidate should also have:
- Strong organisational skills;
- Excellent communication and writing skills;
- Demonstrable ability to quickly analyse problems and to devise and deliver appropriate solutions;
- Credible and strong stakeholder management experience, at all levels, with the ability to prioritise, manage expectations, obtain stakeholder buy-in and escalate appropriately;
- Flexible and adaptable working style to react to changing priorities;
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in a team and across business partner functions; and
- Self-motivation to drive delivery against objectives.
For over 230 years, the people of BNY Mellon have been at the forefront of finance, expanding the financial markets while supporting investors throughout the investment lifecycle. BNY Mellon can act as a single point of contact for clients looking to create, trade, hold, manage, service, distribute or restructure investments & safeguards nearly one-fifth of the world's financial assets. BNY Mellon remains one of the safest, most trusted and admired companies. Every day our employees make their mark by helping clients better manage and service their financial assets around the world. Whether providing financial services for institutions, corporations or individual investors, clients count on the people of BNY Mellon across time zones and in 35 countries and more than 100 markets. It's the collective ambition, innovative thinking and exceptionally focused client service paired with a commitment to doing what is right that continues to set us apart. Make your mark: bnymellon.com/careers.
As part one of the safest and most trusted financial institutions, the BNY Mellon Legal department mitigates risk and handles legal affairs to ensure the security of the company and its clients. BNY Mellon's Legal Department, has overall responsibility for government affairs and advises on advocacy and policy initiatives of the company to support BNY Mellon's domestic and international operations, and they also support all bank regulatory and supervisory issues.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: United Kingdom-Greater London-London
Internal Jobcode: 52093
Organization: Legal Affairs-HR06241
Requisition Number: 1702548