BNY Mellon Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Managing Counsel - Employment Lawyer
Team Description: (Overview of the team)
The EMEA Legal Department provides legal support and assistance to BNY Mellon’s business and operations throughout EMEA and consists of approximately 90 staff, of whom approximately 65 are lawyers . Whilst the largest concentration of lawyers are based in BNY Mellon’s EMEA headquarters in London, there are also legal staff in Brussels, Frankfurt, Luxembourg, Dublin, Wroclaw and Amsterdam.
The EMEA Employment Law team supports all lines of business and business partners in the EMEA region in relation to employment, labour and immigration issues in partnership with BNY Mellon’s HR team and with other members of the Legal Department.
Job Purpose: (What the job role involves)
Your role will be to act as a senior lawyer responsible for delivering effective Legal support to EMEA business lines and business partners on employment, labour and immigration issues and will report into the Head of the Employment Law, EMEA, Senior Managing Counsel.
You will coordinate work with other lawyers in the EMEA Legal department, including business line and jurisdictional specific lawyers, and with employment and compensation and benefits lawyers globally to deliver a high standard of legal advice that is tailored to BNYM’s business models.
Responsibilities: (Key parts to the job role)
An experienced attorney with responsibility for supporting the EMEA business lines and business partners operating in various jurisdictions across the region in relation to employment, labour and immigration issues, in particular:
- Providing timely advice and assistance to relevant business lines and business partners, in partnership with BNY Mellon’s HR team and other members of the Legal department;
- Providing legal advice and assistance in connection with strategic business decisions with implications for employees;
- Initial point of contact/support for designated business lines and business partners;
- Providing legal advice and support on strategic aspects of employee relations issues and on complex investigations involving employees;
- Managing employment litigation;
- Advising on employment and labour legal issues arising in connection with business acquisitions and disposals, including outsourcing transactions and TUPE;
- Advising on and reviewing employment agreements, employee policies and employee communications;
- Providing legal advice on restructuring and redundancy arrangements;
- Providing legal advice on agreed employee separation arrangements, including negotiation of settlement agreements;
- Advising on implications connected with legal and regulatory developments;
- Providing legal advice on works council, collective bargaining and collective employee consultation issues;
- Advising on employee data subject access requests;
- Building relationships with relevant HR and business and business partner managers to ensure understanding of relevant operations and identification of issues and solutions;
- Instruction and management of external counsel, both in the UK and overseas (including assistance with analysis and collation of advice from such counsel);
- Assistance with the development of formal training sessions for business colleagues on relevant topics, e.g. documentary standards/policies/market industry issues/legal issues; and
- Informal knowledge-sharing within the legal team.
Key relationships / stakeholders:
- EMEA Head of Employment Law;
- HR management (both in EMEA and other regions);
- Business line and business partner management;
- EMEA Legal (LoB and non-LoB);
- Global Employment, Compensation and Benefits and Litigation and Enforcement Legal;
- Compliance and Risk; and
- Corporate Security.
Requirements; (what we are looking for)
The successful candidate will have circa 8 - 10 years PQE with a legal background employment and labour law, preferably with significant financial services experience. They will also have, amongst other technical skills and experience:
- Strong working knowledge of employment and labour law and relevant financial services regulatory frameworks;
- Some In-house employment legal experience at a global financial institution;
- Significant experience in advising on and coordinating complex employee investigations, including responding to data subject access requests from employees;
- Significant experience in managing employment litigation;
- Strong working knowledge of TUPE, in particular in connection with outsourcing transactions;
- Experience in advising on employment implications of acquisitions and disposals;
- Strong working knowledge of the management of restructuring and redundancies;
- Experience of management of staff;
- Experience managing outside counsel on major deliverables;
- Good understanding of relevant regulatory requirements;
- Experience of frequent interactions with senior HR and business leaders; and
- Excellent drafting and negotiation skills.
The candidate should also have:
- Excellent communication and writing skills;
- Proven leadership qualities;
- Demonstrable ability to quickly analyse problems and to devise and deliver appropriate solutions;
- Credible and strong stakeholder management experience, at all levels, with the ability to prioritise, manage expectations, obtain stakeholder buy-in and escalate appropriately;
- Flexible and adaptable working style to react to changing priorities;
- Self-motivation to drive delivery against objectives;
- Willingness to learn; and
- Ability to cultivate and maintain strong working relationships with internal clients.
For over 230 years, the people of BNY Mellon have been at the forefront of finance, expanding the financial markets while supporting investors throughout the investment lifecycle. BNY Mellon can act as a single point of contact for clients looking to create, trade, hold, manage, service, distribute or restructure investments & safeguards nearly one-fifth of the world's financial assets. BNY Mellon remains one of the safest, most trusted and admired companies. Every day our employees make their mark by helping clients better manage and service their financial assets around the world. Whether providing financial services for institutions, corporations or individual investors, clients count on the people of BNY Mellon across time zones and in 35 countries and more than 100 markets. It's the collective ambition, innovative thinking and exceptionally focused client service paired with a commitment to doing what is right that continues to set us apart. Make your mark: bnymellon.com/careers.
As part one of the safest and most trusted financial institutions, the BNY Mellon Legal department mitigates risk and handles legal affairs to ensure the security of the company and its clients. BNY Mellon's Legal Department, has overall responsibility for government affairs and advises on advocacy and policy initiatives of the company to support BNY Mellon's domestic and international operations, and they also support all bank regulatory and supervisory issues.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: United Kingdom-Greater London-London
Internal Jobcode: 53389
Organization: Legal Affairs-HR06241
Requisition Number: 1715490