BNY Mellon Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Senior Administrative Assistant, Legal Department
The role reports to the European Bank General Counsel and EMEA Head of Public Policy Legal Department (“SA/NV GC”).
The SA/NV GC is in charge of the Continental Legal department and also has the role of the EMEA Head of Public Policy. The Legal department’s core objective is to protect the Bank and ensure compliance with rules, through the delivery of advice to those who are formally responsible within the first, second and third lines of defence for the management of risk.
The EMEA Legal department has a physical presence in a number of cities on the European Continent – Brussels, Frankfurt, Luxembourg and Amsterdam, with the footprint expected to expand to Poland in 2017. The legal staff in these locations support the legal entities (and associated businesses) operating across Continental Europe, including but not limited to, the BNY Mellon SA/NV (“European Bank”) and its branches, Brussels and Frankfurt Branches of The Institutional Bank, and BNY Mellon Lux Bank. Public Policy resides within The Global Office of Public Policy and Regulatory Affairs (OPPRA).
This is an advanced Executive Assistant role supporting the SA/NV GC, incorporating all the usual elements of a senior administrative assistant but also incorporating wider elements of Legal Administration management/responsibilities. In relation to the wider elements of the role, there is a dotted line matrix responsibility to the EMEA Legal Chief Administrative Officer (“CAO”).
The role physically resides within the Brussels Legal department.
- To provide a high level of professional secretarial/administrative support to the individual who is the SA/NV GC.
- To manage the diary of the SA/NV GC, including, but not limited to:
- Responding promptly to requests for time;
- Managing conflicts, including proactively identifying solutions such as alternates to attend, and
- Ensuring capacity exists in the diary for preparation for meetings
- To provide a professional secretarial/administrative support to the EMEA Public Policy team, currently based in Brussels and London.
- To ensure that clients (internal and external) are dealt with efficiently and politely.
- To contribute to the overall successful operation of the legal and company secretarial functions performed by the Continental legal team through effective support of wider elements of Legal Administration where required.
- To provide temporary support cover for other departmental Administration within the Continental Legal Department, and also the wider EMEA departmental Administration team (including but not limited to the OPPRA assistant) as required, for example during vacation or other absence of their own primary administrative support, or else where time critical deliverables require support.
To assist in general secretarial/administrative tasks, including but not limited to:
- Diary management using Outlook
- Setting up video/webex/conference calls
- Booking of training, conferences and seminars
- Travel arrangements, including production of detailed itineraries
- Preparing and processing expenses
- Dealing with IT and Facilities as required (procuring equipment, investigating IT issues, new starter setups etc)
- Organisation and storage of electronic and paper records associated with the role.
- Creation of a wide range of documents including contracts, presentations, agreements, reports, proposals, meeting agendas and other documents, using Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Assisting with production of papers for internal and external use (printing, photocopying, binding and delivery to clients)
- Proof reading letters and documents
- Dealing with routine legal and non-legal correspondence (telephone, written, fax, email) and referring to other staff as appropriate
- Management of approval queues including but not limited to IT Service portal, Physical Access system, and PeopleSoft approval queue
- Managing CodeRap process
To assist in legal secretarial tasks, including but not limited to:
- Management of SA/NV GCs Outside Counsel Billing queue
- Organise and maintain law libraries, know-how, documents and case files
- Maintain CPD schedule for SA/NV GC & EMEA Public Policy Team as required
- Ensuring that agendas for key governance fora internal to Continental Legal and EMEA Public Policy include messaging on key corporate communications/initiatives as appropriate.
- Tracking of paper submissions for key governance fora internal to EMEA legal and external which SA/NV GC or else EMEA Public Policy team attend.
- Support in generation of key papers for global Legal fora.
- Managing conflict waiver process in line with Outside Counsel policy.
- Managing tracking of absence management for SA/NV GC direct reports.
- Managing access to existing on-line subscription services.
- Support any office refurbishment programmes as required.
- Completion of EMEA Public Policy team on-boarding processes and set up, including maintenance of Welcome Pack.
- Wider support to the EMEA Legal CAO on the management of administrative, operational and/or financial affairs of the business as required, including support to strategic legal projects as required.
- Support the EMEA Legal CAO in review and management of administration capacity across EMEA Legal as required.
- 5-10 years of experience in performing executive assistant role for senior individuals within in-house legal departments and/or senior executive level stakeholders within a global organisation.
- Proven administrative, secretarial, document production and PA experience, along with advanced knowledge of MS Office packages, especially Word, Power Point and Excel.
- experience of internal financial and expense management systems and following internal financial and billing processes.
- Fluent in English (written & oral)
- Fluent in French and/or Dutch (written & oral)
- The successful candidate should be organised, efficient and capable of working to instructions with minimum supervision. In addition to these attributes they must have:
- Ability to work to tight deadlines, prioritising tasks accordingly.
- Extensive diary management experience, including the ability to proactively manage diary conflicts and short notice diary changes.
- Strong project management skills, supporting effective tracking of tasks through to successful completion.
- Excellent organisational skills in order to support the effective storage of electronic and paper records associated with the role, attention to details
- Demonstrate sound judgment and good decision making when dealing with problems – able to solve challenging problems and escalate appropriately with discretion.
- Proactive and enthusiastic approach to work.
- Strong communication skills (both written and verbal) and strong interpersonal skills.
- Proven experience of successfully managing internal and external stakeholders both by telephone and face to face, including leveraging influencing skills to achieve role objectives.
- Operate effectively and collaboratively as part of a wider team of assistants both within EMEA legal and wider executive/business stakeholders.
- Proactive in building and maintaining strong working relationships that support effective completion of role.
- Seen as ‘approachable’ and helpful.
- Exhibit a desire to broadly understand BNY Mellon’s business.
For over 230 years, the people of BNY Mellon have been at the forefront of finance, expanding the financial markets while supporting investors throughout the investment lifecycle. BNY Mellon can act as a single point of contact for clients looking to create, trade, hold, manage, service, distribute or restructure investments & safeguards nearly one-fifth of the world's financial assets. BNY Mellon remains one of the safest, most trusted and admired companies. Every day our employees make their mark by helping clients better manage and service their financial assets around the world. Whether providing financial services for institutions, corporations or individual investors, clients count on the people of BNY Mellon across time zones and in 35 countries and more than 100 markets. It's the collective ambition, innovative thinking and exceptionally focused client service paired with a commitment to doing what is right that continues to set us apart. Make your mark: bnymellon.com/careers.
As part one of the safest and most trusted financial institutions, the BNY Mellon Legal department mitigates risk and handles legal affairs to ensure the security of the company and its clients. BNY Mellon's Legal Department, has overall responsibility for government affairs and advises on advocacy and policy initiatives of the company to support BNY Mellon's domestic and international operations, and they also support all bank regulatory and supervisory issues.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: Belgium-Brussels-Capital Region-Brussels
Internal Jobcode: 50136
Organization: Legal Affairs-HR06241
Requisition Number: 1715899