BNY Mellon Careers
Principle, Legal Entity Risk Manager - 6 month FTC
Job Purpose: (What the job role involves)
The UK Legal Entity Risk Manager is a senior risk appointment with responsibility for ensuring that UK Legal Entity Governance bodies (LEs) have all necessary risk information and advice required for effective issue analysis and strategic decision making. The role spans all UK investment services legal entities, and in addition some participation in regional and global initiatives will be required on a project basis.
The UK Legal Entity Risk Manager reports to the UK Legal Entity Risk Officer (UK LERO) and must maintain an effective dialogue with a wide range of stakeholders across the corporation in order to deliver a series of legal entity focused continuous improvement risk management projects, as well as ensuring high quality routine and ad hoc risk reporting and analysis.
Responsibilities: (Key parts to the job role)
- Work closely with Legal Entity stakeholders across support and operational business areas in order provide an independent review of the LE individual business units risks both on business as usual and ad hoc basis. This will involve providing oversight and challenge of the LEs systems and controls and review of the LEs external risk reporting (to regulators or in annual accounts). The foundation for each of these analyses will typically be the entity legal entity register.
- Routine & ad hoc investigation/reporting to LE governing bodies on risk exposures relative to risk appetite and the extent to which the risks inherent in proposed business strategy, significant transactions, client business and other decisions are consistent with the governing body's risk appetite.
- Integral to this role is responsibility for ensuring that risk information & analysis as well as risk training provided to members of the governing body is adequate. In summary, the UK Legal Entity Risk Manager is accountable for ensuring that the data used by LEs to assess its risks is fit for purpose at all times.
- Project based work and management of ad hoc teams will form a significant element of the role. Typical projects (amongst others):
- maintenance of UK LE risk registers and associated policies, procedures & reporting
- Review/re-definition of risk appetite statements (annually, or more frequently as required)
- Establishing and maintaining an Emerging Risk process for UK LEs
- Actively fostering risk awareness & BNY Mellon’s ‘3 Lines of defense’ risk management model
- Development and maintenance of the UK Risk Navigator and related risk documentationdesign and delivery of risk training
The UK Legal Entity Risk Manager is responsible for providing independent oversight & critical review of ICAAP (Internal Capital Adequacy Assessment Process) for UK entities. This involves reviewing primary documents and supporting calculations as well contributing to scenario building, stress testing etc. The UK Legal Entity Risk Manager will be expected to proactively make recommendations and give detailed feedback in order to improve quality whilst instilling a culture of continuous improvement.
Requirements; (what we are looking for)
Educated to degree level and a background in Operational, Market or Credit Risk, ideally with two of the risk types mentioned. The individual must have the mental acuity to analyse complex sets of data and requirements and to determine appropriate actions and to be appropriately resolute about appropriate actions if challenged. The candidate will have the ability to motivate staff to perform at consistently higher levels through coaching & leading by example. Project management skills are necessary for large, complex projects and an ability to delegate to others and drive accountability. Strong analytical skills and process orientation are necessary.
Excellent communication and influencing skills are required in order to interact across EMEA Risk and with EMEA Executive Management.
For over 230 years, the people of BNY Mellon have been at the forefront of finance, expanding the financial markets while supporting investors throughout the investment lifecycle. BNY Mellon can act as a single point of contact for clients looking to create, trade, hold, manage, service, distribute or restructure investments & safeguards nearly one-fifth of the world's financial assets. BNY Mellon remains one of the safest, most trusted and admired companies. Every day our employees make their mark by helping clients better manage and service their financial assets around the world. Whether providing financial services for institutions, corporations or individual investors, clients count on the people of BNY Mellon across time zones and in 35 countries and more than 100 markets. It's the collective ambition, innovative thinking and exceptionally focused client service paired with a commitment to doing what is right that continues to set us apart. Make your mark: bnymellon.com/careers.
Risk and Compliance provide risk and compliance services across all BNY Mellon businesses. Organizationally, Risk and Compliance includes the following groups: Risk Management, Compliance, Global Corporate Security, Information Risk Management and Global Business Continuity. Risk Management oversees and delivers risk services and ensures new business risks are reviewed and approved. Risk Management is organized through Chief Risk Offices for each core business and critical operation. Risk managers provide shared support to BNY Mellon for operational risk services for Global Corporate Trust, Depositary Receipts, Treasury Services and Global Operations in EMEA. Compliance helps ensure BNY Mellon's businesses maintain appropriate processes to comply with applicable laws, regulations, BNY Mellon policies and ethics. This is accomplished through business- and business partner-specific teams of professionals, under centralized global management.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: United Kingdom-Greater Manchester-Manchester
Internal Jobcode: 85173
Requisition Number: 1805352