BNY Mellon Careers
Princ'l Arch't,Appl Dev
The department consists of a variety of business and technical skills from mainframe to open systems. Our primary product is Nexus which provides Front, Middle and Back Office solutions to the financial industry. The current architecture is primarily based on Microsoft, IBM MQ and Unisys MCP mainframe technologies but also makes use of Java and numerous Open Source components.
MAIN DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE ROLE
Main Roles Responsibilities
• Set and drive the vision and direction of future architecture working with counterparts in the organisation
• Assist in the definition, maintenance, and enhancement of the base Application Architecture that will be used on all applications
• Articulate the architectural vision, conceptualising and experimenting with alternative architectural approaches, creating models and component / interface specification documents whilst validating the architecture against business strategy and assumptions
• Ensure that the architecture promotes systems that are highly available, cost effective and resilient, commensurate with providing services to the financial industry
• Provide guidance in best practice and tool use within the design and building of technical frameworks and the applications built on them
• Maintain wide ranging, strong awareness of industry direction of technology standards, information management, development standards, methods and emerging 3rd party software and determine how they can be utilised and applied to the core application architecture
• Manage and mentor team members as required
• Assist in the architecture definition of large and small-scale applications to meet business requirements and ensure that they follow the application architecture and other guidelines defined by architecture
• Participate during all phases of the Software Development Lifecycle of multiple projects in parallel, and ensure that high quality project deliverables are met in time
• Support and drive development teams’ adoption of defined application architecture patterns and their use in various projects
• Perform detailed technical analysis to present pros and cons of various technical approaches to solutions and recommend the appropriate solution
• Able to communicate complex technical concepts in a logical and understandable manner to all levels of the organisation, from junior developer to CIO/CEO positions – including switching approach as required
• Able to produce clear and accurate, multi-format documentation
• To act in a senior capacity for Pershing, able to speak knowledgeably about our business and capable of promoting IT architecture to clients and non-IT audiences
• Able to operate as a self-starter, managing their own workload across multiple projects and initiatives with minimal oversight
• Able to effectively manage the workload of a small team of architects, tracking progress, directing investigations, prioritising work and reporting upwards
• Is willing to help support all products, day or night, and put live problems as a number one priority
• Ensure appropriate hand over of work, documentation and product ownership takes place
• Participates in discussions to achieve the best software solution and ensures accountability of good design principles
• Builds relationships across the technology and business teams, including being able to competently manage disagreements
• Fosters an inclusive atmosphere within the team
• Willing to work extra time to provide assistance in times of crises and to meet delivery dates
• Is self-motivated and conscientious
• Continually seeks to expand technical and business knowledge
• Willing and able to support and mentor architects within the team and other staff within the technology department
• Any other duties as required.
• Carry out reviews to ensure conformance to Pershing Development Standards and Controls
• Have a sound knowledge of the appropriate development environment, and an understanding of the architecture
• Aware of global IT changes, its effects and its potential to Pershing and the customers of Pershing.
• Keep abreast of all technologies used by department and make recommendation on future directions.
• knowledge of Microsoft .NET, Java, MS SQL, IBM Websphere MQ, GIT, TFS
• Understanding of development processes and methodologies.
• Both Agile and Waterfall experience desirable, understanding benefits and limitations of both.
For over 230 years, the people of BNY Mellon have been at the forefront of finance, expanding the financial markets while supporting investors throughout the investment lifecycle. BNY Mellon can act as a single point of contact for clients looking to create, trade, hold, manage, service, distribute or restructure investments & safeguards nearly one-fifth of the world's financial assets. BNY Mellon remains one of the safest, most trusted and admired companies. Every day our employees make their mark by helping clients better manage and service their financial assets around the world. Whether providing financial services for institutions, corporations or individual investors, clients count on the people of BNY Mellon across time zones and in 35 countries and more than 100 markets. It's the collective ambition, innovative thinking and exceptionally focused client service paired with a commitment to doing what is right that continues to set us apart. Make your mark: bnymellon.com/careers.
Pershing provides critical business process, financial and technology solutions for financial organizations around the globe. We operate behind the scenes to power transformational change for broker-dealers, registered investment advisors, independent financial advisers, hedge fund and '40 Act fund managers and individual investors. We strive to be innovators, developing open architecture technology and financial solutions to support our customers' growth. We advocate on behalf of our customers and help them respond to regulatory reform and drive positive outcomes for our industry and investors. From our core business as an industry-leading trade execution, clearing and custody provider, we have evolved into a global multifaceted firm that provides investment solutions, forward-thinking technology-driven efficiencies, practice management and service excellence.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: United Kingdom-Greater Manchester-Manchester
Job: Information Technology
Internal Jobcode: 60015
Organization: Pershing International-HR16947
Requisition Number: 1806313