BNY Mellon Careers
Specialist Network Engineer - Site Reliability Engineering
TECHNOLOGY SERVICES GROUP (TSG) is the central infrastructure services group with a proven track record of innovating to help BNY Mellon and its customers have most reliable, nimble and cost-effective solutions in the financial services market place. BNY Mellon App Engine technology is leading edge with industry first PasS/IaaS fully integrated solution, combined with enterprise standards for developers.
TSG is building next generation scalable, efficient data center as a service using the latest innovation infrastructure. Building on top of the cloud deployments in BNY Mellon, we are aggressively automating and bridging the green field cloud with the existing virtual computing environments.
Site Reliability Engineering is searching for outstanding candidates who are passionate about building and running some of the largest and most complex software artifacts on the planet and who have the ability to quickly understand how something works that they may never have seen before. They thrive to automate everything through code, and will help us make the journey through to a true no-ops model, identifying and automating end-to-end operational processes to deliver fast, efficient, and consistent results. Our SRE’s have a deep understanding of both operations and engineering, and help bridge the gap by applying engineering to solve operations problems.
We look for the ability to solve problems with software, whether that’s been acquired from a textbook or at the school of hard knocks. Troubleshooting skills and the ability to unpack a problem into smaller pieces, identify possible causes, triage, and do so systematically are essential to this position. These skills could have been acquired through debugging code, operating a network, building hardware, or in other, entirely unrelated domains, however the cognitive skills and approaches to problem-solving are subject-matter agnostic and critical to have, regardless of a candidate’s background.
An ideal Network Site Reliability Engineer will have a broad range of skills across a number of systems. They engineer services to be scalable and fault tolerant, and are adept at making changes to an environment safely. We also expect our SRE’s to think like an owner, and be collaborate across different teams and be inclusive to produce outstanding results.
Key responsibilities include:
- Design, develop, and implement automation around Enterprise Compute’s Network infrastructure, engineering, and operational processes.
- Engage in and improve the lifecycle of services within Enterprise Compute – from inception and design, through deployment, operation, and refinement.
- Bridge the gap between Network Engineering and Operations – creating high synergies and operationally viable products.
- Build automation that can scale network infrastructure systems sustainably, and evolve networks by pushing for changes that improve both reliability and velocity.
- Practice sustainable incident response and blameless post-mortem.
- Participate in a follow-the-sun on-call engineering rotation 24x7.
- Support services before they go live through activities such as system design consulting, developing software platforms and frameworks, capacity planning and launch reviews.
Specialist Network Engineer->> Participates in the research, development and enterprise-wide integration and implementation of networking technologies. Implements and supports network infrastructure equipment and systems for large, complex networks. Designs and supports inter-network solutions, including both physical and logical documentation, and has a strong understanding of the entire network topology and architecture. May allocate/coordinate work within a team/project. Performs overall network design or support and on-going review of network design. Works with other IT areas to define or support architectural standards. Works with other IT staff and vendor representatives on projects, installations, moves, changes, troubleshooting, documentation and servicing. Stays informed of current industry trends and emerging technologies. Contributes to the evaluation of new technology, products, and services for potential and opportunity as future networking solutions or upgrade/replacement. Contributes to the achievement of related teams' objectives.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or a related discipline, or equivalent work experience is required.
- Six to eight (6-8) years of experience in designing, implementing, and supporting high-traffic networks is required.
- Experience in the securities or financial services industry is a plus.
- Experience with algorithms, data structures, complexity analysis, and software design is a plus.
- Interest in designing large-scale, fault-tolerant systems.
- Interest in low-level systems and application debugging.
- CCNP certification a plus.
Specific Technology Experience:
- Network Security including Cisco, Fortinet, Juniper, or Checkpoint.
- Switch technologies including Cisco, Juniper, Brocade, or HP.
- VMware Virtual Networking and Distributed vSwitch technology.
- Nuage Software Defined Networking Infrastructure and Protocols.
- Tuning and implementing IOS or CatOS
- Protocols, Routing, and Casting including Anycast, TCP/IP. BGP, ARP, etc.
- Infrastructure services including DHCP, DNS, NTP, etc.
- Container-based network plugins including overlay, nuage, macvlan, host, and bridge.
- Tcpdump or wireshark packet captures.
Preferred Technology Experience in one or more of the following:
- Languages: C, C++, Python, Go, Perl, Ruby, or Java.
- Operating Systems: RHEL 6 and 7 (required), Solaris, AIX, or Windows.
- Monitoring: Prometheus, Moogsoft, or Nagios.
- Configuration Management: Ansible, Puppet, Saltstack, or Chef.
- Virtualization: hyper-v, kvm, VMware, or qemu.
- SDLC tools: Git, Jenkins, Travis, JIRA, etc.
- Container Technologies: Docker, Rkt, Kubernetes, Mesossphere, or Nomad.
- Public Cloud Platforms: AWS, Google, or Azure.
For over 230 years, the people of BNY Mellon have been at the forefront of finance, expanding the financial markets while supporting investors throughout the investment lifecycle. BNY Mellon can act as a single point of contact for clients looking to create, trade, hold, manage, service, distribute or restructure investments & safeguards nearly one-fifth of the world's financial assets. BNY Mellon remains one of the safest, most trusted and admired companies. Every day our employees make their mark by helping clients better manage and service their financial assets around the world. Whether providing financial services for institutions, corporations or individual investors, clients count on the people of BNY Mellon across time zones and in 35 countries and more than 100 markets. It's the collective ambition, innovative thinking and exceptionally focused client service paired with a commitment to doing what is right that continues to set us apart. Make your mark: bnymellon.com/careers.
Client Technology Solutions provides our business partners with client-focused, technology-based solutions. These enhance their ability to be successful through world-class software solutions and leading-edge infrastructure. Client Technology Solutions provides employees with the tools and resources to enhance their professional qualifications and careers.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Minorities/Females/Individuals With Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
Primary Location: United States-New Jersey-Jersey City
Internal Jobcode: 45143
Job: Information Technology
Organization: Technology Services Group-HR06725
Requisition Number: 1808258