BNY Mellon Careers
Legal Counsel - Manchester
The Legal Department's Information Technology and Intellectual Property Group seeks a skilled Technology attorney. We are responsible for negotiating contracts with suppliers for software licensing, technology and outsourcing services, market data, consulting services, and a range of other products and services. We also advise senior management on intellectual property and regulatory issues affecting the Company's technology planning, assist in the management of the Company's portfolio of intellectual property, and support the Company’s Recovery and Resolution efforts and vendor management programs.
As part of the EMEA Technology Legal team in EMEA, the candidate will provide high quality legal services to a line of business, subsidiary or activity of the Company. The role is based in the Company’s Manchester offices.
Draft and negotiate a wide variety of technology agreements, including software development, licensing and maintenance agreements, application hosting agreements, outsourcing agreements and hardware leasing and purchase agreements.
Draft and negotiate agreements for procurements of other goods and services including consulting services, business process outsourcing, and information services.
Advise businesses on intellectual property issues.
Advise businesses on regulatory issues relating to technology, outsourcing and third party governance.
Requirements (what we are looking for):
The successful candidate will have 5-8 years’ PQE working in a law firm or in-house legal department with Technology ideally in financial services.
Preferred technical skills and experience include:
- Degree Educated or equivalent.
A strong background in negotiating software licensing and development contracts, other technology acquisitions, and technology and business outsourcing transactions.
- Experience with intra-company and inter affiliate agreements, vendor management and third party governance.
- Working knowledge of US regulations and guidelines for outsourcing and supplier governance by financial institutions. Knowledge of foreign regulations and guidelines (EU, Asia).
- Knowledge of European, US and other international privacy laws.
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and drafting skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills.
- Ability to handle a large number of transactions simultaneously.
- Accustomed to performing under pressure and meeting deadlines.
What we can offer you:
- Challenging, fun and supportive environment
- 25 days holiday (in addition to Bank Holidays) plus opportunity to purchase up to 5 extra days
- Highly competitive benefits package including pension and private medical cover
- City centre location
- Competitive discounts on travel and parking
- Discounts on a range of local retailers
- Opportunity for further academic training – including NVQ, IOC, Degree and soft skills
- Opportunity to join site wide networking groups
- Opportunity to participate in process improvement programmes (Lean, Six Sigma, Kaizen); we recognise and reward new ideas
For over 230 years, the people of BNY Mellon have been at the forefront of finance, expanding the financial markets while supporting investors throughout the investment lifecycle. BNY Mellon can act as a single point of contact for clients looking to create, trade, hold, manage, service, distribute or restructure investments & safeguards nearly one-fifth of the world's financial assets. BNY Mellon remains one of the safest, most trusted and admired companies. Every day our employees make their mark by helping clients better manage and service their financial assets around the world. Whether providing financial services for institutions, corporations or individual investors, clients count on the people of BNY Mellon across time zones and in 35 countries and more than 100 markets. It's the collective ambition, innovative thinking and exceptionally focused client service paired with a commitment to doing what is right that continues to set us apart. Make your mark: bnymellon.com/careers.
As part one of the safest and most trusted financial institutions, the BNY Mellon Legal department mitigates risk and handles legal affairs to ensure the security of the company and its clients. BNY Mellon's Legal Department, has overall responsibility for government affairs and advises on advocacy and policy initiatives of the company to support BNY Mellon's domestic and international operations, and they also support all bank regulatory and supervisory issues.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: United Kingdom-Greater Manchester-Manchester
Internal Jobcode: 85115
Organization: Legal Affairs-HR06241
Requisition Number: 1809817