BNY Mellon Careers
Senior Administrative Assistant - Litigation
Team Description: (Overview of the team)
The Global Litigation and Regulatory Enforcement Practice Group is responsible for the oversight and management of all litigation and regulatory enforcement matters on behalf of the Company. Unless otherwise noted, the following coverage is provided within EMEA as part of the global team.
The Civil Litigation Group is responsible for supervising all civil litigation involving the Company. These responsibilities include providing legal risk management and dispute resolution advice; the selection and oversight of outside counsel and related fees and expenses; the management of the litigation reserve process; and the preparation of disclosure relating to the reporting requirements applicable to litigation contingencies.
The Regulatory Enforcement and Investigations Group is responsible for investigating significant legal, regulatory and criminal matters, including possible money laundering, embezzlement, accounting and financial fraud, potential violations of securities laws, breaches of fiduciary duty, and nontrivial allegations involving management or control personnel. The Regulatory Enforcement and Investigations Group is also responsible for managing the Company's compliance with criminal subpoenas and requirements for information, and non-routine regulatory investigations and requests.
Globally the Suspicious Activity Response Team, along with Corporate Security, is responsible for the investigation of all Incident Reports and the filing of Suspicious Activity Reports. The team also handles all information requests concerning money laundering and terrorism financing made pursuant to the USA PATRIOT Act. The EMEA team’s support to the global team in this area is isolated to where the Incident Report indicates issues related to EMEA Regulatory Enforcement and Investigations matters.
Job Purpose: (What the job role involves)
To provide a high level of professional secretarial and administration support to the London Legal Department. This senior administrative assistant role will support the Litigation, Enforcement & Investigations (“LEI”) team based in One Canada Square.
Responsibilities: (Key parts to the job role)
- To provide professional secretarial/administrative support to the EMEA Head of LEI and other members of the LEI team.
- To support EMEA wide initiatives as required by EMEA Legal CAO.
- To provide temporary support cover for other departmental lawyers and company secretarial staff within the London Legal Department as required, for example during vacation or other absence of their own primary administrative support, or else where time critical deliverables are required.
- To ensure that clients (internal and external) are dealt with efficiently and politely.
- Produce monthly and quarterly reporting for LEI matters, including (but not limited to): Corporate Trust Litigation Reporting & wider matter reporting.
To assist in general secretarial/administrative tasks, including but not limited to:
- Diary management using Outlook.
- Setting up video/webex/conference calls.
- Booking of training, conferences and seminars.
- Travel arrangements, including production of detailed itineraries.
- Preparing and processing expenses.
- Dealing with IT and Facilities as required (procuring equipment, investigating IT issues, new starter setups etc).
- Organising and storing electronic and paper records associated with the role.
- Assisting in compiling MI reports.
- Assisting in managing internal know how resources.
To assist in legal secretarial tasks, including but not limited to:
- Creating a wide range of documents including contracts, presentations, agreements, reports, proposals, meeting agendas and other documents, using Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Assisting with the production of papers for internal and external use (printing, photocopying, binding and delivery to clients).
- Proof reading and where appropriate commenting on legal letters and documents.
- Dealing with routine legal and non-legal correspondence (telephone, written, fax, email) and referring to other staff as appropriate.
- Supporting the management of the LEI Outside Counsel Billing queue.
- Organising and maintaining law libraries, know-how, documents and case files.
- Maintaining training and absence records as required.
To carry out paralegal support work, including:
- Initially handling requests for the recovery of electronic data and legal holds.
- Liaising with third party suppliers, including external counsel.
- Preparing initial drafts of summaries and communications in relation to legal developments and training.
- Liaising with other members of the Legal department, Compliance and Risk.
Requirements; (what we are looking for)
- Previous experience in performing a senior assistant role within an in-house legal department or else in a law firm environment is preferable.
- Proven administrative, secretarial, document production and PA experience, along with advanced knowledge of MS Office packages, especially Word, Power Point and Excel.
- Experience of internal financial and expense management systems and following internal financial and billing processes.
- Experience of paralegal support work, or a willingness to learn in this regard.
- The successful candidate should be organised, efficient and capable of working to instructions with minimum supervision. In addition to these attributes they must have:
- The ability to work to tight deadlines, prioritising tasks accordingly.
- Extensive diary management experience, including the ability to proactively manage diary conflicts and short notice diary changes.
- Strong project management skills, supporting effective tracking of tasks through to successful completion.
- Excellent organisational skills in order to support the effective storage of electronic and paper records associated with the role.
- Demonstrate sound judgment and good decision making when dealing with problems – able to solve challenging problems.
- A proactive and enthusiastic approach to work.
- Strong communication skills (both written and verbal) and strong interpersonal skills.
- Proven experience of successfully managing internal and external stakeholders both by telephone and face to face, including leveraging influencing skills to achieve role objectives.
- Operate effectively and collaboratively as part of a wider team of assistants both within EMEA legal and with wider executive/business stakeholders.
- Proactive in building and maintaining strong working relationships that support effective completion of the role.
- Seen as approachable and helpful.
- Exhibit a desire to broadly understand BNY Mellon’s business.
For over 230 years, the people of BNY Mellon have been at the forefront of finance, expanding the financial markets while supporting investors throughout the investment lifecycle. BNY Mellon can act as a single point of contact for clients looking to create, trade, hold, manage, service, distribute or restructure investments & safeguards nearly one-fifth of the world's financial assets. BNY Mellon remains one of the safest, most trusted and admired companies. Every day our employees make their mark by helping clients better manage and service their financial assets around the world. Whether providing financial services for institutions, corporations or individual investors, clients count on the people of BNY Mellon across time zones and in 35 countries and more than 100 markets. It's the collective ambition, innovative thinking and exceptionally focused client service paired with a commitment to doing what is right that continues to set us apart. Make your mark: bnymellon.com/careers.
As part one of the safest and most trusted financial institutions, the BNY Mellon Legal department mitigates risk and handles legal affairs to ensure the security of the company and its clients. BNY Mellon's Legal Department, has overall responsibility for government affairs and advises on advocacy and policy initiatives of the company to support BNY Mellon's domestic and international operations, and they also support all bank regulatory and supervisory issues.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: United Kingdom-Greater London-London
Internal Jobcode: 50136
Organization: Legal Affairs-HR06241
Requisition Number: 1810211