BNY Mellon Careers
Managing Counsel- Capital Markets
Managing Counsel-BNY Mellon Capital Markets
Location: New York
Job Category: Legal
Role: Full service broker-dealer affiliate of BNY Mellon, BNY Mellon Capital Markets is seeking in-house counsel with significant experience in the broker dealer and securities law area. The candidate should have excellent analytical, communications, negotiating and interpersonal skills as well as the ability to provide management with expert advice in identifying and managing critical legal and regulatory issues. The candidate should also be a highly-motivated, team player, capable of forging strong ties with clients and colleagues alike.
Broker-dealer attorney focusing on day to day sales and trading matters for the broker dealer, with a focus on equities and fixed income securities, ETFs, and electronic execution platforms. Specific expertise in the Securities Act of 1933, the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 and FINRA rules as well as some familiarity with banking laws. Activities also include, among other tasks:
· Assessing regulatory impact of laws, rules and regulations on BNY Mellon’s Fixed Income & Equities business.
· Working with the credit and compliance/risk areas to support BNY Mellon’s Fixed Income & Equities Business.
· Drafting and negotiating electronic trading agreements, repurchase agreements, ETF Authorized Person agreements, new accounts agreements, confidently agreements, investment advisory related agreements, various inter-affiliate agreements relating to securities transactions, standard and non-standard broker-dealer agreements, and various third party vendor agreements.
· Interpreting rules and regulations, drafting and reviewing policies and procedures.
· Liaising with Compliance and responding to regulatory inquiries, investigations and exam responses, regulatory (FINRA, SEC) inquiries and investigations of the broker dealer.
· Coordinate and confer with outside and foreign counsel when necessary.
· JD degree, with strong academic credentials.
· Licensed to practice law in New York.
· Seven years of experience working at a law firm or in-house with a broker dealer concentrating on sales and trading activities. 3 or more years of in-house experience is preferred.
· Thorough understanding of broker-dealer regulatory law.
· Must be able to participate in Best Execution, New Products, Business Risk Committees and other internal committees.
· Must be familiar with bank securities laws in order to work on special one-off projects with bank affiliates and non US bank broker-dealers.
· Seasoned judgment, strong work ethic and high ethical standards
For over 230 years, the people of BNY Mellon have been at the forefront of finance, expanding the financial markets while supporting investors throughout the investment lifecycle. BNY Mellon can act as a single point of contact for clients looking to create, trade, hold, manage, service, distribute or restructure investments & safeguards nearly one-fifth of the world's financial assets. BNY Mellon remains one of the safest, most trusted and admired companies. Every day our employees make their mark by helping clients better manage and service their financial assets around the world. Whether providing financial services for institutions, corporations or individual investors, clients count on the people of BNY Mellon across time zones and in 35 countries and more than 100 markets. It's the collective ambition, innovative thinking and exceptionally focused client service paired with a commitment to doing what is right that continues to set us apart. Make your mark: bnymellon.com/careers.
As part one of the safest and most trusted financial institutions, the BNY Mellon Legal department mitigates risk and handles legal affairs to ensure the security of the company and its clients. BNY Mellon's Legal Department, has overall responsibility for government affairs and advises on advocacy and policy initiatives of the company to support BNY Mellon's domestic and international operations, and they also support all bank regulatory and supervisory issues.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Minorities/Females/Individuals With Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
Primary Location: United States-New York-New York
Internal Jobcode: 85116
Organization: Legal Affairs-HR06241
Requisition Number: 1810828