BNY Mellon Careers
Principle Compliance Advisory Manager
Team Description: (Overview of the team)
Risk and Compliance provide risk and compliance services across all BNY Mellon businesses including the following groups: Risk Management, Compliance, Global Corporate Security, Information Risk Management and Global Business Continuity. Risk Management oversees and delivers risk services and ensures new business risks are reviewed and approved. Risk Management is organized through Chief Risk Offices for each core business and critical operation. Compliance helps ensure BNY Mellon's businesses maintain appropriate processes to comply with applicable laws, regulations, BNY Mellon policies and ethics. In EMEA, Compliance is split into four pillars; Advisory, Monitoring, Financial Crime and Regulatory Change. Advisory provide the second line of defence on compliance issues for all of the lines of business in EMEA, assisting the business through regulatory requirements, best practices and regulatory relationships.
Job Purpose: (What the job role involves)
The role of the UK Compliance Manager is primarily to support BNY Mellon to remain compliant with regulatory and corporate compliance policies. This role holder will play a key role in supporting the day-to-day running and management of compliance activities, in particular as they relate to Investment Services in the UK, including Custody, Corporate Trust, Depositary Receipts, Family Office and Treasury Services. There will also be plenty of opportunity to work on pan-EMEA compliance issues with our colleagues throughout EMEA.
The role may require input across other BNY Mellon operations where business is outsourced. Therefore, the jobholder should be prepared to travel on an ad hoc basis.
Responsibilities: (Key parts to the job role)
- Provide accurate and timely technical advice and guidance to business/business partner colleagues on regulatory compliance issues.
- Identify and analyse emerging Compliance risks and trends. Provide feedback and recommendations to other Compliance and Business colleagues on how to mitigate these risks. Provide strategic direction to the work of the Advisory Compliance team.
- Represent Compliance within business driven projects. Provide constructive challenge to help ensure that BNY Mellon’s regulatory obligations are taken account of within the project.
- Where required act as liaison between the business and the regulators. Ensure that internal colleagues are appropriately prepared for discussions with external regulators.
- Represent BNY Mellon at relevant industry events/ forums.
- Participate in or lead internal business/governance meetings and represent BNY Mellon externally as required. Ensure that any reports required for those meetings are provided in a timely manner and are focused and relevant to the meeting topic. Provide constructive challenge within meetings regarding relevant regulatory requirements.
- Participating in or leading the delivery of Compliance related training.
- Where required participate in compliance monitoring reviews. This is likely to comprise sharing of information with Compliance Monitoring colleagues regarding the business lines and/or regulatory themes they are planning to review.
- Represent Compliance at the regular board and committee meetings of UK legal entities as required. Ensure that any reports required for those meetings are provided in a timely manner and are focused and relevant to the meeting topic. Provide constructive challenge.
- Work with Regulatory Change colleagues to advise and cascade on any new regulatory requirements, including business/legal entity implementation
- Degree level qualification
- Industry compliance qualifications/legal qualifications
- Previous experience within a Compliance/legal function.
Technical Competence & Experience:
- Relevant technical knowledge of UK/EMEA prudential and conduct regulatory framework (CRD IV, MIFID II, PSD II, Conduct Risk agenda etc.).
- Proven relevant compliance experience.
- Relevant custody/wholesale banking experience would be a distinct advantage
- Excellent knowledge of the local regulatory environment, ongoing regulatory initiatives which impact the business lines. Previous experience within a regulator would be an advantage.
- Excellent understanding of the investment services industry
- Good report writing and presentation skills
- Focused attitude to work with the ability to meet deadlines while ensuring attention to detail and high level of accuracy.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- An ability to provide strategic leadership within the immediate team and wider Compliance group.
- An ability to provide effective and constructive challenge.
Key Competencies and skills:
- Strong analytical skills, detail focussed; ability to identify patterns or connections between situations that are not obviously related and to determine key underlying issues in complex situations.
- Problem solving: ability to build a logical approach to resolve problems or manage the situation at hand by drawing on own knowledge and experience and calling on other references and resources as necessary.
- Ability to influence across peer groups;
- Proven capability of working in a matrix environment and reporting structure;
- Ability to think pragmatically and proactively suggest solutions;
- Team player and flexible in a fast paced environment. Strong relationship management skills;
- Articulate and able to represent UK/EMEA Compliance to senior business personnel and external stakeholders with confidence.
For over 230 years, the people of BNY Mellon have been at the forefront of finance, expanding the financial markets while supporting investors throughout the investment lifecycle. BNY Mellon can act as a single point of contact for clients looking to create, trade, hold, manage, service, distribute or restructure investments & safeguards nearly one-fifth of the world's financial assets. BNY Mellon remains one of the safest, most trusted and admired companies. Every day our employees make their mark by helping clients better manage and service their financial assets around the world. Whether providing financial services for institutions, corporations or individual investors, clients count on the people of BNY Mellon across time zones and in 35 countries and more than 100 markets. It's the collective ambition, innovative thinking and exceptionally focused client service paired with a commitment to doing what is right that continues to set us apart. Make your mark: bnymellon.com/careers.
Risk and Compliance provide risk and compliance services across all BNY Mellon businesses. Organizationally, Risk and Compliance includes the following groups: Risk Management, Compliance, Global Corporate Security, Information Risk Management and Global Business Continuity. Risk Management oversees and delivers risk services and ensures new business risks are reviewed and approved. Risk Management is organized through Chief Risk Offices for each core business and critical operation. Risk managers provide shared support to BNY Mellon for operational risk services for Global Corporate Trust, Depositary Receipts, Treasury Services and Global Operations in EMEA. Compliance helps ensure BNY Mellon's businesses maintain appropriate processes to comply with applicable laws, regulations, BNY Mellon policies and ethics. This is accomplished through business- and business partner-specific teams of professionals, under centralized global management.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: United Kingdom-Greater London-London
Internal Jobcode: 85162
Organization: Compliance & Ethics-HR06015
Requisition Number: 1811355