BNY Mellon Careers
The Brussels Legal team supports the activities of the European bank of BNY Mellon group which is incorporated in Belgium and operates branches in Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Dublin, London, Luxembourg, Milan and Paris.
The core business of the European bank is Asset Servicing (custody, depositary, fund administration) but it is currently further developing Markets product offering (collateral management, securities lending, FX and liquidity services) as well as treasury services in response to Brexit.
The team provides legal advice on a wide range of financial matters: mainly Asset Servicing but also regulation of banking activities, financial transactions, recovery and resolution, outsourcing as well as corporate restructuring.
The Brussels Legal team is part of the EMEA Legal department and works closely with colleagues across the region in particular in London where sit specialised teams: Asset Servicing, Markets, Office of Public Policy & Regulatory Affairs, M&A, Litigation & Investigation, IP/IT, etc. The team also liaises with colleagues in the United States and APAC region.
Currently, the Legal department in Brussels includes 5 lawyers, 2 public policy advisors, 1 paralegal and 2 assistants.
Your role will be to provide legal advice and support to the BNY Mellon European bank, in particular on financial and banking law and regulation. You will advise on the implementation of new law and regulation in Belgium, on a wide range of regulatory questions in relation to the activities of the bank and on the implementation of new services and products.
With the development of the European bank activities, in particular in Markets, it is intended to reinforce the team and to on-board a Belgian lawyer with strong knowledge of financial services (trading, collateral management and securities lending activities) and banking regulation.
You will work with other lawyers in the EMEA Legal department to deliver a high standard of legal advice that is tailored to BNYM’s business model.
- Follow developments and advise business and management on banking and financial law/regulation (CRD IV, MiFID II, EMIR, BRRD, AML, etc.) – provide legal support for regulatory change and implementation projects;
- Advise/support business in developing and implementing services and products in line with applicable law & regulation;
- Support the development and advise on Markets activities (collateral management, securities lending, trading, liquidity services);
- Support the preparation of company’s documentation in relation to recovery and resolution planning;
- Support strategic business initiatives in providing effective and timely legal advice;
- Assist management and Compliance in developing plans to comply with new law and regulation;
- Advise and prepare documentation in relation to internal and external outsourcing;
- Advise on corporate law and provide support in respect of M&A projects;
- Advise generally on a wide range of commercial matters;
- Prepare and/or review key communications to regulators;
- Participate in relevant industry bodies and informal peer networking forums;
- Support to instruction and management of external counsel, (including assistance with analysis and collation of advice from such counsel);
- Assistance with the development of formal training sessions for business colleagues on relevant topics, e.g. documentary standards/policies/market industry issues/legal issues; and
- Supporting knowledge sharing within the legal team.
- Members of the Executive Committee of BNY Mellon European bank;
- General Counsel of BNY Mellon European bank and her team;
- EMEA Legal department;
- Compliance and Risk;
- Business (Markets, Asset Servicing, Treasury);
- Project Management Office.
The successful candidate will have at least 5 years work experience in a law firm and/or legal department of a financial institution with a presence in Belgium. S/he will also have, amongst other technical skills and experience:
- License/Master's degree in Belgian law, a post-graduate degree would be a plus;
- Expertise in EU and Belgian financial regulation;
- Strong knowledge of the financial services & banking industry;
- Proven experience of delivery of regulatory/strategic change;
- Familiarity with current legal, regulatory and market trends and initiatives in Europe and in Belgium; and
- Fluent in English and in French or Dutch (written & oral).
The candidate should also have:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Strong organisation skills;
- Excellent drafting skills;
- Pragmatic and adept problem solving skills – ability to identify practical solutions;
- Flexible and adaptable working style to react to demanding workload and changing priorities;
- Self-motivation to drive delivery against objectives – ability to work autonomously;
- Experience in balancing commercial flexibility and risk management; and
- A willingness to work as part of a team and help out on all matters.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: Belgium-Brussels-Capital Region-Brussels
Internal Jobcode: 85115
Organization: Legal Affairs-HR06241
Requisition Number: 1815802