BNY Mellon Careers
CCO Ireland/Head of Ireland Advisory
Overview Of BNY Mellon:
BNY Mellon is a global financial services company focused on helping clients manage and service their financial assets, operating in 35 countries and serving more than 100 markets. BNY Mellon is a leading provider of financial services for institutions, corporations and high-net-worth individuals, providing superior asset management and wealth management, asset servicing, issuer services, clearing services and treasury services through a worldwide client-focused team.
The role of the Country Compliance Officer (CCO) for Ireland and Head of Ireland Advisory is primarily to support BNY Mellon in Ireland to remain compliant with regulatory and corporate compliance policies.
This is a Pre-Approval Control Function (PCF15) as specified in the Central Bank of Ireland’s Fitness and Probity Regime. This role covers Head of Compliance with responsibility for Anti-Money Laundering (AML) and Counter Terrorist Financing (CTF) Legislation.
• Leads a team of professional staff and more junior managers responsible for overseeing and managing the administrative, operational and functional affairs of the Ireland Compliance function.
• Oversee AML/CTF related compliance matters and the work of the Money Laundering Reporting Officer (MLRO)
• Sets organisational compliance policies and business practices and develops common compliance methodologies.
• Leads local teams of professionals' and managers' assessment of regulatory and policy requirements in order to develop programs and projects to improve Ireland compliance, and presents program and project recommendations to EMEA leadership.
• Reviews and approves or rejects program or project recommendations from more junior managers.
• Advises on entire business units' strategy changes to further improve their ability to remain in compliance with or become compliant with organizational policies and regulations.
• Accountable for ensuring compliance and AML/CTF strategy changes are appropriately implemented in a timely manner across all business units.
• Establishes the overall Ireland compliance strategy and protocols for enforcing and monitoring compliance efforts for the organisation; assigns routine monitoring responsibilities to professional staff and more junior managers.
• Leads professional staff and more junior managers in completing highly complex, detailed analyses of existing and proposed legislation, regulatory events and announcements and industry practices in order to identify opportunities for business unit and regional/ jurisdictional alignment with the global compliance strategy.
• Directly influences the ways in which senior organisational managers and leaders implement approved procedures to meet requirements and ensure alignment with industry best practice methodology.
• Leads and manages the assessment and validation of local control processes to ensure compliance with laws, rules and regulations.
• Leads, and is responsible for efforts to develop a strong compliance / AML/CTF culture among senior business unit managers and increase organizational awareness of compliance roles and responsibilities within the assigned region/ jurisdiction.
• Leads the design and development of tools for senior business unit managers' and leaders' use in explaining the compliance strategy and expectations among their teams.
• Uses strong, longstanding relationships with senior business unit managers and sector executives to ensure timely completion of compliance activities and responses to reports issued by regulatory agencies or audit.
• Counsels executives and provides direction and support for compliance activities, initiatives and issues with a potentially high financial impact on the organisation. Maintains strong relationships with senior regulators and government officials and appropriately escalates high impact issues raised by these contacts to executive leadership.
• Independently addresses issues with a high risk level and high potential financial impact for the organisation.
• Uses extensive industry experience to make well informed decisions that have a large, direct, positive impact on the strategic direction and by providing technical expertise and advice to executives
• Recruits, directs, motivates and develops professional staff and more junior managers, maximizing their individual contribution, their professional growth and their ability to function effectively with their colleagues as a team and/or lead. Provides feedback at the most critical times.
• Support Ireland Country Executive, Senior Management and the MLRO in their interaction with Central Bank of Ireland
• Responsible for coordinating all regulatory interactions in Ireland and manage any regulatory inspection of BNYM from CBI, the Fed or the NBB
• In conjunction with the Head of EMEA Advisory, helping to provide a strategic direction to the work of the wider Advisory Compliance team, identifying emerging compliance risks and ensuring these get appropriate visibility and focus across the wider senior management team (within Compliance and other business/business partner functions).
• In conjunction with the EMEA Head of Financial Crime, helping to provide a strategic direction to the work of the Ireland Financial Crime team
• Overseeing the work of the Advisory teams within Ireland, ensuring that they are delivering consistently high standards of advice, in a consistent and timely manner.
• Representing Compliance within business driven projects, helping to ensure that BNY Mellon’s regulatory obligations are taken account of within the project
• Representing BNY Mellon at relevant industry events/forums
• Participation in internal business meetings and represent BNY Mellon externally as required
• Regular liaison with client Compliance teams and other client compliance representatives to discuss issues of mutual interest
• In addition, the role holder should be prepared to assist as required in the following activities:
o Where required, participating in thematic and monitoring reviews of business activities
o Oversight or assessment, communication and implementation of regulatory change to include the drafting of responses to industry papers
o The role may require input across other BNY Mellon operations where business is outsourced. Therefore, the job holder should be prepared to travel
o Manage the work of the Advisory Compliance teams within Ireland
o Provide accurate and timely technical advice to business/business partners colleagues on regulatory compliance issues
o Identify and analyse emerging Compliance risks and trends. Provide feedback and recommendations to other Compliance and Business colleagues on how to mitigate these risks. Provide strategic direction to the work of the Advisory Compliance team.
Please note: This is a Pre-Approved Control Function ("PCF") position.
• 15+ years of total work experience, with 5-7 years of management experience, preferred. Financial Services, Audit or Compliance background and/or experience with financial services compliance and/or experience with the assigned products, services or business lines/areas and the pertaining laws, regulations and rules of relevant regulators preferred.
• Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience is required. MBA or professional certification preferred.
What we can offer you:
• Challenging, fun and supportive environment
• 25 days holiday (in addition to Bank Holidays) plus opportunity to purchase up to 2 extra days
• Highly competitive benefits package including pension and private medical cover
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: Ireland-Dublin-Dublin
Internal Jobcode: 85169
Organization: Compliance & Ethics-HR06015
Requisition Number: 1816340