BNY Mellon Careers
Principal, Compliance Advisory - Markets and Corporate Treasury (m/w/d)
The Compliance function is primarily responsible for helping to ensure businesses maintain appropriate processes to comply with all applicable laws, regulations, corporate, regional and local compliance policies, and ethical norms.
In EMEA, Compliance is split into four pillars; Advisory, Monitoring, Financial Crime and Regulatory Change and Policy. Advisory provide the second line of defence on a range of conduct compliance issues for each line of business in EMEA, assisting the business through understanding regulatory requirements, applying best practices and building strong and transparent regulatory relationships.
The BNY Mellon SA/NV Compliance teams provides compliance coverage across the four EMEA compliance pillars in respect of all activities and businesses of the legal entities and its branches.
The position based preferably in Frankfurt but possibly in Brussels will have a solid reporting line into the Deputy Head of Compliance of BNY Mellon SA/NV and a dual solid reporting line into the EMEA Head of Compliance Advisory Markets and Corporate Treasury Compliance based in London.
Compliance has a key responsibility as a part of the second line defence function in providing advisory, monitoring, training, oversight & challenge to business lines and where relevant partner functions. More generally:
- Ensure business line and business partner functions are provided with accurate and timely advice of regulatory compliance issues; and
- Work with business lines and partner functions to assist them to address the impact of regulatory change(s) and to manage BNY Mellon’s relationship with relevant regulators and seek to embed an compliance culture and conduct model throughout the organization.
- Provide advice to the EMEA Markets Group and Corporate Treasury business lines operating in BNY Mellon SA/NV, i.e. foreign exchange, capital markets (fixed income and equity), securities finance, liquidity services, collateral management, investment management (advisory) group and treasury. This includes providing technical advice on the application of financial services regulation to relevant business lines;
- Where BNY Mellon SA/NV Markets Group and Corporate Treasury activities are outsourced to other BNYM group entities provide advice and challenge regarding the oversight of those outsourced activities by the BNY Mellon SA/NV Management;
- Supporting Market Abuse surveillance in respect of EMEA Markets Group and Corporate Treasury business lines operating in BNY Mellon SA/NV in line with the EMEA surveillance model;
- Work with business lines and business partner functions to assist them in dealing with the impact of regulatory change by providing advice and challenge;
- Work with other Compliance professionals across the broader BNY Mellon SA/NV and EMEA Compliance team to ensure coordinated and complete delivery of services and effective communication of relevant information and observations. In addition to develop strong and where required integrated working relationships with other regional compliance officers in the U.S. and APAC;
- Provide advice and challenge regarding the internal control and risk framework of EMEA Markets Group and Corporate Treasury business lines operating in BNY Mellon SA/NV to help ensure compliance with relevant regulations;
- Support the business in managing BNY Mellon’s relationship with relevant regulators, including overseeing the provision of information to the regulators and responding to reports issued by regulators;
- Ensure representation of compliance related issues and provide appropriate challenge at relevant internal/external events where appropriate;
- Support the EMEA Global Markets and Corporate Treasury Compliance group’s involvement in business led projects by providing timely and robust input and challenge from a BNY Mellon SA/NV perspective; and
- Represent Compliance and providing appropriate challenge at relevant internal/external clients meetings where required.
- Provide technical compliance support to business and corporate projects as required, including those relating to regional governance, acquisitions/divestitures etc.
- Coordinate internal and external audits of BNY Mellon SA/NV Markets Group and Corporate Treasury activities
- Contribute to the effective governance of BNY Mellon SA/NV. Play an active role in offering constructive challenge and helping to support relevant governance bodies. Facilitate and encourage informed and constructive debate on key issues and ensure that members of BNY Mellon SA/NV governance bodies receive relevant management information in an accurate, timely and clear manner;
- Help to ensure that a strong governance and compliance culture is embedded within the legal entity, that issues are escalated and cascaded appropriately and that key risks are identified, discussed and mitigated; and
- Build a good understanding of the BNY Mellon SA/NV governance framework, including escalation requirements, and ensure there is clear, appropriate and evidenced apportionment of responsibilities amongst staff members for whom the job holder has management responsibility.
Generic Staff Responsibilities:
- Comply with all BNY Mellon corporate policies and procedures, including HR policies and procedures, applicable to BNY Mellon SA/NV;
- Alert the BNY Mellon SA/NV management and Chief of Compliance, as well as the Head of Markets and Corporate Treasury Compliance EMEA and the Head of Compliance Germany immediately of any significant changes to business risks and internal control effectiveness;
- Notify the BNY Mellon SA/NV management, Chief of Compliance, as well as the Head of Compliance EMEA and the Head of Compliance Germany as appropriate, immediately on discovery of any material actual or anticipated regulatory breach; and
- Comply with all Security and Health & Safety policies and procedures operating within the business.
The successful candidate will have a background in a financial services compliance or regulatory advisory role. The candidate will have a thorough knowledge and understanding of relevant E.U. and local financial services legislation and regulation relating to the provision of services and infrastructure requirements for firms in the wholesale financial markets in respect of all countries where BNY Mellon SA/NV operates. In particular, the candidate will have experience of a wholesale trading environment (foreign exchange, capital markets - fixed income and equity, securities finance, liquidity services, collateral management, investment management) in Continental Europe, and in-depth knowledge of the respective regulatory requirements.
Desired technical and practical experience will include:
- Interpretation and guidance in respect of statutes, directives, regulations and regulatory codes and guidance (collectively “conduct regulation”);
- Providing advice to various levels of management, business lines and functional partners in relation to E.U. regulation (including but not limited to MiFID 2, MAR, PSD2, SFTR, EMIR, EU Benchmark Regulation and the FX Global Code) and regulatory supervisory expectations and trends in countries where BNY Mellon SA/NV operates;
- Knowledge of German implementations of above E.U. regulations (including but not limited to WpHG, KWG, MaComp and WpDVerOV) as well as general knowledge of similar requirements applying in other continental European countries;
- Fluency in English language required; French, Dutch, or German language knowledge would advantageous;
- Preparation of communications to regulators in relation to conduct matters including applications for waivers, mergers, notifications and similar;
- Experience of Forex and securities trading compliance;
- Experience of providing direct advice and challenge to front office trading staff;
- Assistance to business lines, operational and risk control areas in relation to conduct matters arising in respect of regulatory change programs including compliance impact and gap analyses;
- Providing subject matter expertise in relation to the operationalization of conduct requirements including but not limited to the preparation of policies and procedures to ensure that appropriate arrangements, systems and controls in place in relation to prudential and conduct requirements;
- Supporting company responses to attestation requests, supervisory visits or enforcement actions and advising on remediation programs;
- Engagement in policy, advocacy and interpretation efforts through representation and/or membership of, industry bodies and peer working groups, drafting of comment letters in response to white paper and proposed regulations;
- Proven ability to engage with and influence senior management and the business line through bilateral interaction and through membership of committees and fora; and,
- Provide leadership and knowledge transfer to other team members in relation to technical matters, specific projects and deliverables and issues.
- Law, Business or Finance degree preferred.
- 10-12 years of total work experience preferred.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: Germany-Hessen-Frankfurt
Internal Jobcode: 85162
Organization: Compliance & Ethics-HR06015
Requisition Number: 1816491