BNY Mellon Careers
Newton, Database Engineer
This database engineering role is an opportunity to significantly contribute to the design and delivery of Newton’s data pipelines across multiple database platforms.
This hand on technical role will require the candidate to understand Newton’s database estate and how it is consumed by different groups across the business. This will involve working with business teams to understand their data needs, in addition to working with various development teams to deliver the data.
This is a great role for an experienced database developer/engineer who enjoys a level of business user interaction and enjoys being a data subject matter expert.
Newton Investment Management Limited is an active investment management firm, using thematic ideas about the long-term investment landscape to create and manage strategies that help secure clients’ futures. Newton thinks on a global basis, with its single London-based investment team working collaboratively across asset classes and regions. The firm builds bold solutions, designed to meet the real-world challenges clients face, and the team manage them responsibly in the broadest sense – through embedding environmental, social and governance considerations, and engaging on issues that affect their clients. Those clients are based around the world, and include pension funds, corporations and charities and, via Newton’s parent company BNY Mellon, individuals.
With offices in London and New York, Newton has £49.8bn assets under management (as at 31 March 2018), including assets managed by Newton Investment Management Limited as dual officers of Newton Investment Management (North America) Limited and The Bank of New York Mellon. News and other information about Newton is available at www.newtonim.com and via Twitter: @NewtonIM.
· Hands on responsibility for data engineering of relational databases (Oracle and Microsoft SQL server)
· Ensure the smooth running of all processes that use or derive data from data feeds
· Development and maintenance of existing and future data pipelines
· Analysis and solution construction for ad hoc business data enquiries
impact analysis of data change across multiple systems
· Contributing to the development of analytics capabilities across the company
· Making improvements to the build and deployment mechanisms for database changes
Job Specific Competencies
Technical Skills/Systems Knowledge (and associated skill level)
- Extensive experience in relational database development, particularly Oracle and MS SQL server
- Experience of writing and optimising stored procedures and views to transform and deliver data
- Experience using performance, monitoring and alerting tools
- Experience in scripting/automation language (Shell, Python)
- Familiar with ETL processes
- Interest in NoSQL database and BigData concepts and systems
- Knowledge of SCRUM or other Agile methodologies
- Any experience of Data Architecture and Dimensional Modelling would be a plus
- Any experience with Markit EDM would be a plus
- Knowledge of investment management, including investment risk, would be a definite plus
- Good communicator and collaborator keen to work closely across teams and the business
- Take ownership and show a willingness to tackle difficult issues
- Embrace, and effectively manage, change
- Get hands-on, providing technical direction and/or problem solving to support the team
- Ensure all third-party development conforms to organisation best-practice and quality standards
- Demonstrate exceptional problem solving skills and intellectual curiosity
- Show a passion for innovation and continuous improvement and initiate efforts to implement alternative solutions
Preferred but non-essential Technical Skills/Systems Knowledge
Academic/Professional Qualifications (or equivalent qualifiers)
· Formal education in Computer Science, Engineering or related discipline preferred
People (team-working/collaboration skills)
Self (integrity and the ability to reflect confidence)
Results (the ability to be proactive and take action)
Thought (problem solving, innovation and continuous improvement)
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: United Kingdom-Greater London-London
Job: Asset Management
Internal Jobcode: 51575
Requisition Number: 1816556