BNY Mellon Careers
Legal Counsel (Employment Law – Asia Pacific)
As an experienced attorney, you will be responsible for supporting the Head of Employment Law APAC, primarily providing employment advice to Human Resources and senior managers across the Asia Pacific region.
The position will involve:
- Conducting legal research; reviewing employment documentation; advising on the full range of employment issues from pre-employment and hiring to termination; advising on data privacy issues; conducting and advising on investigations and employee relations issues; advising on post-termination issues.
- Handling contentious employment matters and litigation.
- Maintaining regular contact among peers within the company and externally, including regulators and professional organizations
- Providing advice to internal clients on the implications of business and legal trends, issues, operating environment changes and company or business unit strategy
The successful applicant will:
- Contribute as part of a larger team, but may independently advise a business or functional area
- Be perceived as a trusted internal resource capable of using knowledge of BNY Mellon's businesses, products, services and/or strategies to articulate and advance legal positions
- Handle a broad portfolio of basic to moderately complex legal issues, including serving as an advisor to internal and external stakeholders, including outside counsel, relevant to issues affecting the assigned entities)
- Review presented business issues, conducts legal research and investigation, and crafts legal solutions, balancing internal and external stakeholder interests, with the risks of adverse legal actions, revenue loss or reputational damage to the entity
- May seek guidance from senior colleagues to ensure solutions align to global legal strategies
- Communicates and collaborate with leaders who also serve in an advisory or oversight capacity, such as Risk, Audit, etc. and develops the Legal response/ position for issues identified as risks or areas of non-compliance
- Manage external counsel relationships
- Communicate timelines and deliverable expectations; serves as a liaison for information requests
- Review outside counsel work for appropriateness, quality and alignment to expectations; provides feedback and direction to rectify any issues
- Maintain a broad understanding of practice or functional area products and services, or begins to specialize in a specific product or practice area
- Advance knowledge through participation in external industry or professional events
- Hold oversight responsibility to include assigning work to other non-legal staff where necessary
- Provide legal advice that may have a direct impact on the internal client's, and ultimately the Company's overall financial position
- Must have a law degree and a valid legal practicing certificate.
- 4 -7 years' minimum of relevant experience either in private practice or in an in-house role
- Excellent communication, negotiation, listening and writing skills.
- The ability to work collaboratively with business, legal, HR, compliance and risk professionals
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: Hong Kong-Hong Kong-Hong Kong
Internal Jobcode: 85115
Organization: Legal Affairs-HR06241
Requisition Number: 1818549