BNY Mellon Careers
Principal, Corporate Operational Risk
BNY Mellon’s risk management framework ensures that all material risks in each business line are defined, understood, and effectively managed by well-designed policies and controls, and that an organizational structure is in place to provide oversight in managing such risks and other strategic concerns. The Team are responsible for formulating, coordinating and maintaining an effective risk framework for EMEA, encompassing all products and services offered by the company within the region.
Responsible for the ongoing independent oversight of first line day-to-day operational risk management activities for a highly complex assigned business line facing a high level of risk. Advises and provides oversight to the first line's identification, assessment, monitoring, risk exposure remediation and reporting of the business's risk exposure. Uses extensive industry experience with standard and non-standard risks to appropriately lead the business line's activities to address any control gaps. Uses vast experience with the assigned business line in order to provide oversight of, consultation on and challenge of first line risk management practices that may have potentially broad consequences across other areas of the organization.
- Drive the implementation of business and regulatory requirements relating to Risk Frameworks across the EMEA region, with a particular focus on overseeing risk reporting.
- Lead and co-ordinate the BCBS239 work within EMEA.
- Take responsibility for defining, overseeing, developing, and driving execution of Operational Risk analysis and reporting within EMEA, and contributing to the development of global Operational Risk reporting.
- Develop common procedures and processes for EMEA Risk Reporting to drive consistent application of reporting from the Risk Framework across business lines/legal entities.
- Support the maintenance of a close relationship and coordinate all Risk framework related matters with the local regulators.
- Collaborate with management on formulating and developing Risk reporting to drive better execution of strategy and decision-making with regards to risk issues.
- Act as a subject matter expert on Risk framework methodologies, with specific emphasis on risk reporting and Operational Risk Management Frameworks ensuring industry best practice is adhered to and adopted across EMEA.
- Assess local regulation and regulatory action on Risk framework matters, and support the communication of the effect on our businesses.
- Take responsibility for delivering EMEA risk reporting to the Senior Risk & Controls Committee (SRCC), EMEA Senior Risk & Controls Committee (ESRCC), and EMEA Legal Entity Risk Committees.
- Develop, coordinate and provide Risk Framework and risk reporting related training across EMEA Risk Management.
- Special projects as determined by the Head of Risk Framework EMEA.
Risk Managements Responsibilities
The following responsibilities are discharged more broadly by Risk Management at BNY Mellon.
- Directs the assigned business unit's compliance with the an enterprise-wide Corporate Operational Risk Management framework by overseeing the identification, assessment and mitigation of risks, identifying emerging issues, contributing to the development of processes and controls to manage operational risks, monitoring the adequacy and effectiveness of the control environment, overseeing deficiency remediation, monitoring and challenging business activities and enforcing business line awareness of and adherence to the operational risk management framework.
- Independently advises on the development of reporting on operational risk management for the business line CRO on the identification, management and mitigation of operational risks that may arise from inadequate or failed internal processes, people, systems or external events. May assign reporting activities to more junior professionals. All reporting complies with the established Corporate Operational Risk Management framework.
- Oversees the first line's appropriate maintenance of RCSA and HLA and timely reporting of significant events including losses events and near misses. Participates in and provides challenge to the first line's scenario analysis (SA). Uses growing influence with business line management to ensure the completion of non-routine assessments in the event of a change, identification of a potential adverse impact, new produce offering, profit loss or adverse audit or examiner finding.
- Uses established working relationships with the Risk Management, Compliance and Audit teams and members of the business line to ensure timely completion of operational risk-related deliverables, issue resolution and operational loss estimation and remediation. Responsible for appropriately escalating issues to the Chief Risk Officer and business unit leadership when risk exposure is deemed to be increasing.
- Direct relevant work experience is essential, including Operational Risk Management Reporting, and implementation of risk reporting regulatory requirements
- Proven risk reporting experience including excellent knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Access
- Knowledge of Risk Frameworks and Operational Risk Management, ideally gained within financial services and/or banking)
- Proven management and leadership skills
- Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Ability to gain confidence of senior management and challenge the status quo, as appropriate
- Superior problem solving and analytical skills
- Ability to work independently
- Conceptual and strategic/forward thinker.
- Proven track record of execution and delivery
- No direct reports; provides guidance to more junior team members and may assign tasks, as needed.
- Contributes to the achievement of team objectives.
- Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- 10-12 years of total work experience preferred.
If you apply for this role this means you agree with the following statement:
Through my application for a role with BNY Mellon (Poland) sp. z.o.o. (the Company) I hereby authorize the Company to process my personal data for the purposes of recruitment. Furthermore I declare that I am aware of the voluntary submission of data and I am informed about the right to access the data and the right to correct it, pursuant to the Personal Data Protection Act of 29 August 1997 (Journal of Laws [Dz.U] No. 133, item 883)”. I authorise the Company to process my personal data for future recruitment processes.
Furthermore, I authorize BNY Mellon and its’ affiliates, Taleo (UK) Limited to process my personal data.
BNY Mellon and affiliates registration details.-
BNY Mellon (Poland) sp. z.o.o Registered office – Swobodna 3, 50-088 Wroclaw
The Bank of New York Mellon (International) Limited – 1 Canada Square, London, E14 5AL
The Bank of New York Mellon SA/NV – 46 Rue Montoyerstraat, B-1000 Brussels, Belgium
Taleo (UK) Limited Registered office - 78-586 Chiswick High Road, London W4 5RP, United Kingdom,
Please note that during the recruitment process you may be asked to provide further information and supporting documents. The information provided may be verified and reviewed, to the extent permitted by the law, as to their veracity and accuracy.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: Poland-Dolnoslaskie-Wroclaw
Internal Jobcode: 85189
Requisition Number: 1900404