BNY Mellon Careers
Principal - Government Relations
Team Description: (Overview of the team)
This role is a senior leadership position within the Global Regulatory Policy and Government Relations group. BNY Mellon’s Regulatory Policy and Government Relations team focuses on analysis and advocacy related to emerging regulatory and political matters. The primary functions of the group are to assess the potential implications of regulatory proposals affecting BNY Mellon’s businesses, engage with senior business leaders to determine potential strategic responses, and execute all external advocacy engagements related to policy proposals. The group is also responsible for facilitating the development and enhancement of long-term relationships with key political leaders and policymakers. The team also plays a vital client facing function involving regular briefings with the Company’s Global Client Management group and participating in educational programming on public policy matters for major clients.
The position of will be a senior leadership post within the Global Regulatory Policy & Government Relations team. The primary function of the role will be to execute the Company’s political operations in the United Kingdom. The Principal, Government Relations will be a strategic counsellor to regional executive management, the leadership of BNY Mellon SA/NV, and the Company’s global leadership. A strong candidate will have extensive experience working on political matters in the UK, with a preference for those with a depth of knowledge concerning Parliament and UK regulatory bodies.
The chief substantive duties include leading the planning, monitoring and steering of all political and government affairs activities and contacts of BNY Mellon in EMEA with external parties. The role will involve responsibility for leading and coordinating advocacy efforts with the UK and public agencies, policymakers, and trade associations. Although this will primarily be government and public agency officials, it will also include industry organisations and supervisors.
The role will lead the identification of material political initiatives and trends that could affect BNY Mellon’s strategic business objectives and work with business leadership to set the policy agenda and priorities. The role also involves responsibility for preparing and coordinating communications relating to such matters.
The role requires significant coordination with members of the global team, together with lawyers in the EMEA and across the global Legal department.
The position involves:
- Providing advice to senior management on a range of political and regulatory issues emerging in the UK.
- Reporting to senior management of all matters of moderate to high legal and regulatory risk in a timely manner;
- Working with internal stakeholders and experts to determine potential opportunities and political/regulatory issues arising from regulatory changes that may impact BNY Mellon, its operating models, products and clients;
- Contributing to regular internal communications of political and regulatory change, including briefings and education;
- Contributing to advocacy activity within BNY Mellon, which could include coordinating and drafting responses to public consultation papers, position papers and speaking notes for BNY Mellon representation in conferences, panel sessions, round tables etc;
- Participating in senior internal discussions and working groups on advocacy items;
- Participating in senior external working groups on political and regulatory change including contributing to responses to consultation papers;
- Liaising with policy makers as appropriate;
- Contributing to development of business strategies, contribute to the maintaining and strengthening of relationships with policymakers for firm and its senior leadership, as appropriate working with Corporate Communications and Philanthropy/CSR activities;
- Maintaining a robust working understanding of the regulatory and political environments, and the framework in which BNY Mellon (EMEA) operates.
- Overseeing legal counsel fiscal budgeting processes and subsequent monitoring of spend versus fiscal budgets.
Key relationships / stakeholders:
- Global Head of Regulatory Policy and Government Affairs;
- EMEA Head of Regulatory Policy and Government Affairs
- EMEA General Counsel;
- EMEA Head of Office of Public Policy & Regulatory Affairs;
- Finance, Compliance, Risk, CPMO;
- Business stakeholders/experts involved in regulatory change; and
- EMEA wide legal team.
Requirements: (what we are looking for)
The successful candidate will have at least 15 years relevant work experience in a similar lobbying/advocacy role, which may include a law firm and/or legal department of a financial institution, regulator or trade association. Other preferred experience includes:
- Bachelor degree;
- Fluent (written & oral) in English
- Familiarity with current legal, regulatory and market trends and initiatives impacting EMEA;
- Strong knowledge of the financial services & banking industry and regulation;
- Strong knowledge of the UK political and Regulatory system
- Extensive experience of interactions with UK political actors in Parliament and elsewhere; and
- Extensive experience of frequent interactions with legal and wider business/risk/compliance colleagues;
Other technical skills that although not necessary would be preferential:
High-level understanding of the U.S. regulatory framework for financial institutions.
The candidate should also have:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication;
- Excellent influencing/ negotiation skills;
- Confident in communicating broadly and deeply;
- Extensive experience of direct team management;
- Connector of people;
- Proven strategic thinker;
- Strong organisation skills;
- Adept problem solving skills – ability to identify practical solutions;
- Flexible and adaptable working style to react to demanding workload and changing priorities;
- Self-motivation to drive delivery against objectives – ability to work autonomously;
- Customer orientation & specifically a willingness to learn and to cultivate good working relationships with internal clients;
- Credible and strong management experience, at all levels, with the ability to prioritise, management expectations, obtain stakeholder buy-in and escalate appropriately
- Experience in balancing commercial flexibility and risk management;
- Passion about people development and talent management;
- Proven leadership qualities;
- A willingness to work as part of a team and help out on all matters; and
- Genuine interest in public policy, current events and the political environment
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: United Kingdom-Greater London-London
Internal Jobcode: 85115
Organization: Legal Affairs-HR06241
Requisition Number: 1900832