BNY Mellon Careers
The BNY Mellon Technology organization places great emphasis on reducing risk and increasing resiliency with a strong focus on engineering practices including reliability engineering and development standards.
The Resilient Systems Engineering (RSE) group continually enhances the stability, resilience, and recoverability of the firm’s critical assets and underlying infrastructure. Uniquely, the RSE group bridges both infrastructure and application development teams requiring deep expertise in the entire technology stack to achieve the highly resilient, scalable, and performant business services required by our clients.
Our RSE team is seeking Cloud Developers and Systems Engineers to join our Application Run-time Platform team. We work on BNYM Application Engine, a platform as a service that schedules and runs containerized and non-containerized applications on Linux and Windows across our data centers. Our systems power nearly a quarter of the global economy and we continue to invest in uplifting the technologies that underpin our private cloud and public clouds.
We are building our placement engine and container services platform to enable developer and operational efficiencies in our data centers and public cloud. Our team uses many technologies to enable innovation for our business, for example - Docker, Mesos, Nomad, Consul, Puppet, Salt, and VMWare. Our team's skillset includes Developers, DevOps, Systems Engineers and SREs.
As a diverse platform team, we know how software is built, configured, and deployed. We write services, plugins, and agents. We configure, automate, and run many infrastructure and platform services like Mesos and Docker clusters, centralized logging platform based on ELK, docker registries, and Prometheus for monitoring. We understand middleware and infrastructure and provide the tools and services that allow developers to run their applications. Additionally, our on-boarding and engagement team helps developers understand and use the platform.
We Will Expect You To:
• Work closely with Docker, Linux, and Application orchestrators
• Research, design, and implement software components powering our cloud platform.
• Develop features in an agile environment where we quickly prototype and iterate on functionality.
• Develop robust functionality in a complex, distributed systems code-base.
• Work extensively with open source software. You may even modify or extend code maintained as part of an open source project.
• Deploy and scale critical services and features that are used by thousands of developers and potentially impact millions of end users.
• Employ both Object Orientated development skills and Systems Engineering skills.
Sr. Specialist Developer->> Consults with internal business groups to provide appropriate application software development services or technical support. Analyzes, defines and documents requirements for data, workflow, logical processes, hardware and operating system environment, interfaces with other systems, internal and external checks, controls, and outputs using BNY Mellon's standard development methodology. Works with internal business groups on implementation opportunities, challenges, and requirements of various applications. Analyzes information and provides recommendations to address and resolve business issues for a specific business group. Contributes to defining time tables and project plans. Analyzes and estimates feasibility, cost, time, and compatibility with hardware and other programs. Takes lead for establishing, implementing and monitoring 'best practices' for technical development methodologies and tools. Proposes innovative, creative technology solutions. Contributes to the achievement of area objectives.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science engineering or a related discipline, or equivalent work experience is required.
- Eight to ten (8-10) years of experience in software development is required
- Demonstrable hands-on experience with Linux, Docker and DevOps
- Experience with automation / configuration management tools like Salt, Chef, Ansible or Puppet
- Deep expertise with the architecture and implementation of PaaS software
- Deep understanding of Linux and OS Tuning
- Deep understanding of how to build fault tolerance and scalability into cloud based systems
- Good understanding of building, deploying, and maintaining critical applications in a cloud based environment
- Grasp of software engineering skills in modular design, data structures, algorithms, and Unix systems development
- Experience of SDLC and Agile Development tools (Jenkins / Teamcity, Maven, JIRA, Confluence)
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Minorities/Females/Individuals With Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
Primary Location: United States-New Jersey-Jersey City
Internal Jobcode: 45172
Job: Information Technology
Organization: Resilient Systems Engineering-HR17387
Requisition Number: 1901169