BNY Mellon Careers
Senior Specialist, Corporate Operational Risk
The Operational Risk Assurance (ORA) Function is an obective second line validation function which aims to continuously assess the Firm’s Operational Risk Management Framework (ORMF) methodologies, processes and governance, as well as ensure the integrity of the inputs to the measurement systems / models. ORA’s scope is broad; covering all Lines of Business and Business Partners globally, to validate that the ORMF is consistently applied and that accurate data is captured to support enterprise-wide risk management and analysis including risk identification, risk appetite, stress testing, risk-based capital, risk aggregation and enterprise-wide reporting. ORA conducts reviews / assessments / continuous testing of the elements of the ORMF and based upon results, report meaningful findings to senior management in both 1st and 2nd line for continuous improvement efforts.
- Conduct assurance testwork, quality assurance reviews and remediation testing as assigned. Test execution will be conducted to evaluate the design and operating effectiveness of key controls in the control environment and detailed analysis of completeness / accuracy / quality of operational risk data which act as an input into CCAR.
- Prepare findings / audit results to be presented to the review lead / management. Once testwork is comoplete, the encumbant will be required to articulate / report on results from review work performed, and document outcomes (including issues) in a clear, concise and contextualized manner.
- Be able to work somewhat independently to support the ORA liaison team in achieving review objectives across multiple reviews - sometimes concurrently - in a collaborative team environment
- Complete and keep track of all test paperwork. At the end of each testing exercise, the encumbent needs to complete a detailed report of their work for addition to the review archive to evidence executed testing.
- Be able to conduct detailed analysis of process/control/metrics using various techniques including data mining and analytics.
The Operational Risk Assurance Function is a team consisting of high performing experienced professionals, with a range of backgrounds and skill sets (although Internal Audit experience is a key common thread of most ORA Review team members). The position reports to the Functional Manager of the ORA Review team, and ultimately into the Global Head of the ORA.
- Understanding of a financial banking organization and the related businesses that may exist within, as supported by support functions (i.e. Operations, Technology, Risk, Compliance, etc). Ideally, but not required, the candidate would have some experience with any of BNYM's lines of business.
- Clear awareness and knowledge of the 3 lines of defense, and the division of roles & responsibilities across 1st and 2nd line (as supported by RACI).
- Strong knowledge of risk and control best practices, and how that should manifest in key control design / execution across the 1st and 2nd lines of bsuiness. Fundamentally, the individual needs to undertand how efficient effective controls should be embedded within an organization to drive effective risk management practices and have experience in testing such.
- Very Strong analytical skills with the ability to assess and test & evaluate large/complex sets of data to draw conclusions, as well as the ability to assess and understand a process from end-to-end and be able to identify/test the key controls that exist within (or identify gaps if none exist). The individual needs to be able to connect the dots across the tested elements to idenify common trends / broad systemic issues. This includes performing Quality Assurance review over test work done.
- Ability to assess and decipher supporting documentation submitted by stakeholders regarding the remediation of ORA raised findings for purposes of validating them & concluding whether the findings can be closed (or if not and require escalation).
- High level focus on detail with superior workpaper documentation skills to ensure that deliverables support the work performed, and have high quality standards that are review-ready for Internal Audit and Regulators.
- Stong written skills with the ability to document findings / observations / suggested enhancements in a manner which explains 'why' the findings are relevant and the risk these present to the Firm if not addressed.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to clearly present messages and known deficiencies to internal and external senior management which can be difficult in nature, and then articulate the appropriate actions needed. This requires an individual to be respectfully resolute and be able to hold a position with conviction - knowing when to challenge and when to reconsider a point.
- Think-outside-the-box mentality to create / innovate ways to stress the operational risk management framework through efficient, non-traditional testing.
- Intelligent, energetic, positive, team-oriented and hard-working professional, with the ability to effectively communicate to team management / colleagues / stakeholders, and lead by example.
- Demonstrated maturity and judgment to know when to act independently, challenge the status quo and when to drive consensus.
- Act as an ambassador for the function, in support of the ORA mission and objectives - and help embed operational risk culture through facilitating better understanding and accountability.
- A minimum of 6 years of risk and control evaluation experience in testing functions such as Internal Audit, SOX or Compliance Testing.
- Intermediate level skills with Microsoft programs (Word, Exel, Powerpoint, Access Database) to execute work and Reports.
What we can offer you:
- Full time contract of employment
- Competitive salary
- Health & Life Insurance
- Multisport card / Cinema Tickets / Nursery subsidiary
- Pension scheme
- Excellent opportunities for training, growth and professional development
- Opportunities to engage in diverse projects due to growth of business migrations
- A multitude of opportunities to get involved in additional charity projects
- A collaborative culture and great teams
If you apply for this role this means you agree with the following statement:
Through my application for a role with BNY Mellon (Poland) sp. z.o.o. (the Company) I hereby authorize the Company to process my personal data for the purposes of recruitment. Furthermore I declare that I am aware of the voluntary submission of data and I am informed about the right to access the data and the right to correct it, pursuant to the Personal Data Protection Act of 29 August 1997 (Journal of Laws [Dz.U] No. 133, item 883)”. I authorise the Company to process my personal data for future recruitment processes.
Furthermore, I authorize BNY Mellon and its’ affiliates, Taleo (UK) Limited to process my personal data.
BNY Mellon and affiliates registration details.-
BNY Mellon (Poland) sp. z.o.o Registered office – Swobodna 3, 50-088 Wroclaw
The Bank of New York Mellon (International) Limited – 1 Canada Square, London, E14 5AL
The Bank of New York Mellon SA/NV – 46 Rue Montoyerstraat, B-1000 Brussels, Belgium
Taleo (UK) Limited Registered office - 78-586 Chiswick High Road, London W4 5RP, United Kingdom,
Please note that during the recruitment process you may be asked to provide further information and supporting documents. The information provided may be verified and reviewed, to the extent permitted by the law, as to their veracity and accuracy.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: Poland-Dolnoslaskie-Wroclaw
Internal Jobcode: 85188
Requisition Number: 1901570