BNY Mellon Careers
Managing Counsel – Office of Public Policy & Regulatory Affairs – Regulatory Relations Team
Overview Of BNY Mellon:
BNY Mellon is a global financial services company focused on helping clients manage and service their financial assets, operating in 36 countries and serving more than 100 markets. BNY Mellon is a leading provider of financial services for institutions, corporations and high-net-worth individuals, providing superior asset management and wealth management, asset servicing, issuer services, clearing services and treasury services through a worldwide client-focused team.
The Regulatory Relations Team (RRT) provides legal, regulatory and strategic advice to BNY Mellon’s businesses and business partner groups in connection with all aspects of BNY Mellon’s supervisory relationships and examinations. The RRT maintains close partnerships across all three Lines of Defence and with subject matter experts and Line of Business coverage lawyers in the Legal division to respond to country specific and international regulatory inquiries and examinations. The RRT works closely with the Office of Regulatory Relations (ORR) in delivering this agenda. The ORR provides centralized management of BNY Mellon’s relationship with global regulators. ORR’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to: developing and managing protocols and processes for engaging regulators; acting as a central clearinghouse for all regulatory requests; exam management; assisting regulators navigate and understand BNY Mellon; and supporting the monitoring and tracking of regulator interactions, including imbedding lessons learned processes. The ORR also plays a critical oversight role on enterprise wide strategic priority areas to ensure a consistent and connected enterprise wide message.
The RRT sits within The Office of Public Policy and Regulatory Affairs (OPPRA) within the Legal team.
OPPRA manages BNY Mellon’s response to global regulatory reform and advises on supervisory and regulatory issues.
OPPRA leads and coordinates advocacy efforts with regulators, policymakers and trade associations to ensure beneficial outcomes for BNY Mellon and the industry. OPPRA identifies material regulatory initiatives and trends with potential impacts for the business and works with EMEA business leadership to set the policy agenda and priorities. OPPRA plays a key role in preparing and co-ordinating communications and handling non-standard supervisory issues, aligned with compliance and lines of business.
The role, based in Brussels, will be one of two lawyers within RRT in OPPRA EMEA.
You will support the EMEA and global ORR teams in their management of BNY Mellon’s relationships with global regulators/supervisors, with a particular focus on the EMEA regulators/supervisors. This will include providing advice to BNY Mellon’s businesses and business partner groups in connection with all aspects of BNY Mellon’s regulatory and supervisory relationships and examinations, including close partnership with particular areas responding to country specific and international regulatory inquiries and examinations. Responsibilities will also include support for preparation of presentations, speakers, and other materials for such examinations and coordination with ORR for such preparation.
You will work with members of OPPRA together with other lawyers in the EMEA and global Legal department, and jurisdictional specific lawyers, to deliver a high standard of legal advice tailored to BNYM’s business models.
Responsibilities: (Key parts to the job role)
experienced attorney with responsibility for supporting Compliance and the ORR
in their management of BNY Mellon’s relationship with EU and UK regulators,
with a primary focus on current EMEA strategic priorities: Operational Resilience, Third Party
Governance, Technology and Cyber Security:
- Providing timely advice and assistance to the relevant business lines and business partners, in partnership with ORR and other members of the Legal department;
- Contributing to written responses to regulatory requests;
- Supporting preparation for on-site exams as well as delivery of exam materials position papers/speaking notes for BNY Mellon representation during the exam;
- Contributing to regulator briefings and education sessions;
- Liaising with regulators as appropriate;
- Supporting the preparation of key internal stakeholders for key regulatory interactions;
- Contribute to the maintaining and strengthening of relationships with regulators and its senior leadership;
- Maintaining a working understanding of the regulatory environment and framework in which BNYM (EMEA) operates;
- Advising on trends and themes and implications connected with legal and regulatory developments;
- Instruction and management of external counsel, both in the UK and overseas (including assistance with analysis and collation of advice from such counsel);
- Assistance with the development of formal training sessions for business colleagues on relevant topics, e.g. standards/policies/market industry issues/legal issues; and
- Supporting knowledge sharing within the legal team.
Key relationships / stakeholders:
- EMEA Head of OPPRA;
- EU and UK Heads of ORR
- Global RRT and ORR Teams
- Global OPPRA Team;
- Finance, Compliance, Risk, Treasury, CPMO, ORRP;
- Business stakeholders/experts involved in regulatory change; and
- EMEA wide legal team.
The successful candidate will have circa 8 - 10 years work experience in a law firm and/or legal department of a financial institution, regulator or trade association. They will also have, amongst other technical skills and experience:
- Belgian law degree preferred, possibly German/Dutch/Luxembourg law degree
- Qualified lawyer;
- Fluent in English (written & oral);
- Familiarity with current legal, regulatory and market trends and initiatives impacting EMEA;
- Some In-house legal experience at a global financial institution;
- Strong knowledge of the financial services & banking industry and regulation;
- Experience in advising on and coordinating responses to regulatory and legal change;
- Experience managing outside counsel on major deliverables;
- Experience of frequent interactions with senior business leaders; and
of frequent interactions with regulators.
Other technical skills that although not necessary would be preferential:
- Wider European language skills such as German/Dutch/French;
- Experience in advising on and coordinating responses to regulators;
relationships with EU and UK regulators, and particularly the FCA, PRA,
NBB and ECB.
The candidate should also have:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication and presentation skills;
- Excellent drafting and writing skills;
- Strong organisation skills;
- Credible and strong stakeholder management experience, at all levels, with the ability to prioritise, manage expectations, obtain stakeholder buy-in and escalate appropriately;
- Adept problem solving skills – ability to identify practical solutions;
- Demonstrable ability to quickly analyse problems and to devise and deliver appropriate solutions;
- Flexible and adaptable working style to react to demanding workload and changing priorities;
- Self-motivation to drive delivery against objectives – ability to work autonomously;
- Customer orientation & specifically a willingness to learn and to cultivate good working relationships with internal clients;
- Experience in balancing commercial flexibility and risk management; and
- A willingness to work as part of a team and provide support for all matters in the best interests of the firm.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: Belgium-Brussels-Capital Region-Brussels
Internal Jobcode: 85116
Organization: Legal Affairs-HR06241
Requisition Number: 1903750