BNY Mellon Careers
Newton Business Strategist
• To lead on key strategic initiatives as identified by the Head of Business Strategy and Executive Committee.
• Duties will include a mix of analysis and project management as agreed with the Head of Business Strategy.
• Specific topics may include: responsible investment/ESG, client life cycle/retention strategy, distribution planning, product development planning, pricing and competitor analysis.
Newton Investment Management Limited is an active investment management firm, using thematic ideas about the long-term investment landscape to create and manage strategies that help secure clients’ futures. Newton thinks on a global basis, with its single London-based investment team working collaboratively across asset classes and regions. The firm builds bold solutions, designed to meet the real-world challenges clients face, and the team manage them responsibly in the broadest sense – through embedding environmental, social and governance considerations, and engaging on issues that affect their clients. Those clients are based around the world, and include pension funds, corporations and charities and, via Newton’s parent company BNY Mellon, individuals.
With offices in London and New York, Newton has £46.7bn (as at 31 December 2018) under management. News and other information about Newton is available at www.newtonim.com and via Twitter: @NewtonIM
Newton employees are bright, inquisitive, thoughtful and collaborative. They are highly motivated to deliver performance and service to clients. Newton prides itself on being an employer of choice, with a flexible working environment and a commitment to diversity and opportunity among its employees.
Newton is a professional, friendly and collegiate place to work. The firm looks to attract individuals who are keen to work as part of a team, in a meritocratic environment, and who are driven to help make the organisation a great place to work.
The Newton Business Strategy team carries out the following functions:
• Strategic priorities – The team’s focus is to support the progression of the firm’s strategic priorities. Each work stream is unique but may include an associated working group where project management and analytical support will be required.
• Strategic projects – Lead/support key projects arising from the strategy group or other senior management initiatives.
• Competitor analysis – Market and competitor analysis in support of Newton’s direct sales and retention efforts and for oversight of Newton’s Partnered Distribution efforts with BNY Mellon. Analysis also used as a key input for the product development process.
• Management Information - Provision of management information for Commercial team, Strategy Group, Executive Committee and NIM Board when required. Ad –hoc reports as required of Newton and wider BNYM Group.
• Planning – Provide guidance and data to set and monitor targets for annual financial planning and sales stretch targets across all channels.
• Pricing & Business Acceptance - Provide assistance with fee negotiations, coordination of new business acceptance (internally and externally) negotiations, and assessment of the suitability and appropriateness of business opportunities incorporating a longer term view where necessary.
More specifically, duties include:
• Project manage 1-2 strategic initiatives as directed by the Head of Business Strategy.
• Provide analysis on industry and competitors to help senior management shape firm positioning and to assist retaining clients, pitches and product developments.
• Follow market trends, competitors and changes to rules and regulations that may have an impact on the business strategy.
• Provide input, analysis and prepare commercial and strategic presentations for Board and Executive committees.
• Provide analysis for Newton’s pricing strategy and commercial decision making processes.
• Articulate and communicate ideas to colleagues, in both verbal and written form, and cultivate new methods of analysing business data.
Skills and Experience:
• Asset management industry experience required, Asset management strategy consultancy experience desirable
• MBA, Masters or equivalent professional qualification desirable
• Analytical and project management skills
• Advanced Microsoft Excel user
• Project Management applications (desired)
• eVestment (desired)
• Morningstar (desired)
• Lipper (desired)
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: United Kingdom-Greater London-London
Job: Asset Management
Internal Jobcode: 53761
Requisition Number: 1904312