BNY Mellon Careers
Counsel - EMEA Asset Servicing Legal (m/w/d)
BNY Mellon is a global financial services company focused on helping clients manage and service their financial assets, operating in 36 countries and serving more than 100 markets. BNY Mellon is a leading provider of financial services for institutions, corporations and high-net-worth individuals, providing superior asset management and wealth management, asset servicing, issuer services, clearing services and treasury services through a worldwide client-focused team.
The Continental Legal Department based in Frankfurt provides legal advice to the BNY Mellon entities located in Germany or engaging with the German market. The core business is Asset Servicing as the operations of BNY Mellon's global custody flag ship in EMEA are based at this location.
The position involves reviewing and advising on:
- Advise business and management on banking and financial law/regulation (AIFMD, UCITS V, CRD IV, BRRD, MiFID II, etc).
- Advise/support business in developing services and products in line with applicable law & regulation.
- Support strategic business initiatives in providing effective and timely legal advice and in drafting any legal documentation.
- Assist management and Compliance in developing plans to comply with new law and regulation.
- Draft, review and negotiate contracts with clients (mainly custody services).
- Draft, review and negotiate contracts with local sub-custodians and Central Securities Depositories.
- Advise and prepare documentation in relation to internal and external outsourcing.
- Advise on AIFMD/UCITS related matters, including but not limited to fund mergers, fund setup and liquidation under the German Capital Investment Code.
- Advise management on corporate law and corporate governance.
- Represent Legal and actively participate in governance bodies, business steering committees and working groups.
- Advise generally on a wide range of commercial matters.
- Support to instruction and management of external counsel, (including assistance with analysis and collation of advice from such counsel).
- Assistance with the development of formal training sessions for business colleagues on relevant topics, e.g. documentary standards/policies/market industry issues/legal issues.
- Supporting knowledge sharing within the legal team.
- 3 to 7 years work experience in a law firm and/or legal department of a financial institution.
- 1. and 2. German state examination, Master's degree or a post-graduate degree would be a plus.
- Licensed as lawyer (Rechtsanwalt/Rechtsanwältin) or in-house lawyer (Syndikusrechtsanwalt/-anwältin).
- Fluent in English and German.
- Familiarity with current legal, regulatory and market trends and initiatives impacting Germany.
- Strong knowledge of the financial services & banking industry and regulation.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication.
- Excellent drafting and negotiation skills.
- Strong organisation skills.
- Adept problem solving skills – ability to identify practical solutions.
- Flexible and adaptable working style to react to demanding workload and changing priorities.
- Self-motivation to drive delivery against objectives – ability to work autonomously.
- Customer orientation & specifically a willingness to learn and to cultivate good working relationships with internal clients.
- Experience in balancing commercial flexibility and risk management.
- A willingness to work as part of a team and help out on all matters.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: Germany-Hessen-Frankfurt
Internal Jobcode: 85115
Organization: Legal Affairs-HR06241
Requisition Number: 1904470