BNY Mellon Careers
Counsel – Employment and Compensation & Benefits, EMEA
Overview Of BNY Mellon:
BNY Mellon is a global financial services company focused on helping clients manage and service their financial assets, operating in 35 countries and serving more than 100 markets. BNY Mellon is a leading provider of financial services for institutions, corporations and high-net-worth individuals, providing superior asset management and wealth management, asset servicing, issuer services, clearing services and treasury services through a worldwide client-focused team.
Team Description: (Overview of the team)
The EMEA Legal Department provides legal support and assistance to BNY Mellon’s business and operations throughout EMEA. Whilst the largest concentration of lawyers are based in BNY Mellon’s EMEA headquarters in London, there are also legal staff in Brussels, Frankfurt, Luxembourg, Dublin, Manchester, Wroclaw and Amsterdam.
The EMEA Employment Law team supports all lines of business and business partners in the EMEA region in relation to employment, labour and immigration issues in partnership with BNY Mellon’s HR team and with other members of the Legal Department.
Job Purpose: (What the job role involves)
Your role will be to act as a lawyer responsible for delivering effective Legal support to EMEA business lines and business partners on employment and compensation and benefits issues and will report into the Head of Employment Law, EMEA & India and the Global Head of Compensation and Benefits Law. It is envisaged that this role will be focussed 50% on employment law issues (primarily non-contentious) and 50% on compensation and benefits issues and will be the primary point person for EMEA Compensation & Benefits legal matters.
You will coordinate work with other lawyers in the EMEA Legal department, including business line and jurisdictional specific lawyers, and with employment and compensation and benefits lawyers globally to deliver a high standard of legal advice that is tailored to BNY Mellon’s business models.
Responsibilities: (Key parts to the job role)
An attorney with responsibility for supporting and providing timely advice to the EMEA business lines and business partners operating in various jurisdictions across the region in relation to employment and compensation and benefits issues, in partnership with BNY Mellon’s HR team, in particular:
• Providing advice on UK and EU regulatory requirements relating to compensation and benefits in financial services;
• Drafting and advising on terms of long term incentive plans and related award agreements (whether equity or cash) for EMEA award recipients;
• Advising on and/or sourcing advice in relation to pensions law issues (for employer) in order to be able to action as required;
• Advising on implementation and management of and implementation of changes to employee benefit plans;
• Advising on employment, labour and compensation and benefits legal issues arising in connection with business acquisitions and disposals, including outsourcing transactions and TUPE;
• Advising on and reviewing employment agreements, employment and compensation and benefits policies and employee communications;
• Providing legal advice on restructuring and redundancy arrangements;
• Providing legal advice on agreed employee separation arrangements, including occasional negotiation of settlement agreements;
• Providing legal advice on works council, collective bargaining and collective employee consultation issues;
• Advising on employee privacy issues, including data subject access requests;
• Occasional advice on employee relations and employment litigation matters;
• Building relationships with relevant HR and business and business partner managers to ensure understanding of relevant operations and identification of issues and solutions;
• Support to the instruction and management of external counsel, both in the UK and overseas (including assistance with analysis and collation of advice from such counsel);
• Assistance with the development of formal training sessions for business colleagues on relevant topics, e.g. documentary standards/policies/market industry issues/legal issues; and
• Informal knowledge-sharing within the legal team.
Key relationships / stakeholders:
• Head of Employment Law, EMEA & India
• Global Head of Compensation & Benefit Legal;
• HR management (both in EMEA and other regions);
• Business line and business partner management;
• EMEA Legal (LoB and non-LoB);
• Global Employment, Compensation and Benefits and Litigation and Enforcement Legal;
• Compliance and Risk; and
• Corporate Security.
Requirements; (what we are looking for)
The successful candidate will have circa 5+ years PQE (or equivalent experience) with a legal background in employment and compensation and benefits law, preferably with significant financial services experience. They will also have, amongst other technical skills and experience:
• Working knowledge of employment and compensation and benefits law and relevant financial services regulatory frameworks, including UK/EU compensation and benefits regulatory requirements;
• Experience with drafting and advising on terms of long term incentive plans and related award agreements (whether equity or cash) for EMEA award recipients
• Experience in advising (or ability to manage procurement of advice) on UK pensions law issues (for employer) in order to be able to action as required;
• Good understanding of relevant regulatory requirements;
• Good understanding of UK employment law and experience of managing cross-border employment law issues;
• Working knowledge of TUPE, in particular in connection with outsourcing transactions;
• Experience in advising on employment and compensation and benefits implications of acquisitions and disposals;
• Working knowledge of the management of restructuring and redundancies;
• Experience of frequent interactions with senior HR and business leaders; and
• Excellent drafting and negotiation skills.
Some In-house employment legal experience at a global financial institution would be preferred, but not essential.
The candidate should also have:
• Excellent communication and writing skills;
• Demonstrable ability to quickly analyse problems and to devise and deliver appropriate solutions;
• Credible and strong stakeholder management experience, at all levels, with the ability to prioritise, manage expectations, obtain stakeholder buy-in and escalate appropriately;
• Flexible and adaptable working style to react to changing priorities;
• Self-motivation to drive delivery against objectives;
• Willingness to learn; and
• Ability to cultivate and maintain strong working relationships with internal clients.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: United Kingdom-Greater Manchester-Manchester
Internal Jobcode: 85115
Organization: Legal Affairs-HR06241
Requisition Number: 1904508