BNY Mellon Careers
Counsel- Global Markets
Attorney dedicated to supporting the Securities Finance business, which is part of BNY Mellon’s Markets business. Securities Finance Legal provides legal advice and support to the various Securities Finance desks with respect to a variety of products, including cleared repo, agency and principal securities lending, margin loans, bilateral and tri-party repo, and legal guidance in the development of new products. The attorney will support primarily the cleared repo desk, and work with the business team to expand the business to a broad range of clients globally.
Key responsibilities include:
- Provide legal and regulatory support and advice to the Securities Finance business, and primarily to the cleared repo desk;
- Advise on various CCP clearing rules and membership matters, and engage with CCPs with respect to new rules and arrangements impacting the business;
- Negotiate BNY Mellon’s standard form clearing client agreements, repo agreements, custody agreements, non-disclosure agreements, etc;
- Identify and explain relevant legal issues and risks to the Securities Finance business;
- Work closely with Compliance, Credit and Risk partners and other internal lawyers in providing guidance on issues related to legal and contractual matters, operational risks and regulatory matters;
- Draft tailored legal documentation and standard form agreements for the Securities Finance business;
- Review and approve legal opinions (e.g. jurisdictional, enforceability, insolvency-related, netting opinions, etc), marketing and communication materials;
- Manage outside counsel engaged to assist the business;
- Monitor and advise on relevant legal and regulatory developments;
- Participate in industry advocacy as part of relevant industry groups, such as SIFMA and ISDA.
The following experience/skills are required:
- At least 4 years securities finance, clearing and/or derivatives law experience;
- Knowledge of the current regulatory issues impacting the securities finance industry, including understanding of Basel III rules, ISDA Resolution Stay Protocol, etc;
- Familiarity with industry documentation, such as MRAs, MSLAs, ISDAs required;
- Excellent communication, contract negotiation and writing skills;
- Familiarity with international financial markets, CCPs, custody and settlement matters;
- Ability to work well as part of a team, and in-house experience would be beneficial;
- NY State bar admission.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Minorities/Females/Individuals With Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
Primary Location: United States-New York-New York
Internal Jobcode: 85115
Organization: Legal Affairs-HR06241
Requisition Number: 1905421