BNY Mellon Careers
Sr Administrative Assistant - Legal
Overview Of BNY Mellon:
BNY Mellon (“BNY Mellon” or the “Company”) is a global financial services company focused on helping clients manage and service their financial assets, operating in 35 countries and serving more than 100 markets. BNY Mellon is a leading provider of financial services for institutions, corporations and high-net-worth individuals, providing superior asset management and wealth management, asset servicing, Markets, clearing services and treasury services through a worldwide client-focused team.
Team Description: (Overview of the team)
The Markets Legal team in EMEA support four key areas – (i) Collateral Management and Segregation; (ii) FX and Capital Markets; and (iii) Securities Financing; and (iv) Treasury.
Collateral Management and Segregation (“CMS”)
The EMEA CMS Legal team provides general legal advice and support to BNYM’s EMEA based CMS division. CMS provides BNYM’s capabilities in EMEA in collateral management, liquidity services, derivatives services (“D360”), collateral financing, principal financing (“repos and loans”) and support for BNY Mellon’s’ Central Securities Depository.
The EMEA Securities Finance Legal team provides general legal advice and support to BNYM’s Securities Finance division in EMEA which consists of agency securities lending, cash (repo) reinvestment and principal repo activity. This includes the negotiation of securities lending and rep master agreements (“GMSLAs” and “GMRAs”).
FX and Capital Markets
The EMEA Legal team provides general legal services to BNY Mellon Capital Markets Europe Limited and to BNY Mellon’s EMEA FX business. The team are also responsible for the negotiation of ISDAs and elated documentation for FX in EMEA.
Lawyers from the FX and Capital Markets team and the Securities Finance Legal team will also provide product legal support to BNYM’s Treasury Division in EMEA. This would principally encompass advice on trading products and related issues and the negotiation of master agreements for Treasury.
The EMEA Market Legal team is primarily based in London but works closely with colleagues in Legal in the United States and APAC.
In particular the team is responsible for:
• Generally, proving legal advice and legal support at all levels across BNYM’s Markets business in EMEA. This includes advising on law and regulation in the UK. Obtaining advice on law and regulation from EMEA legal colleagues;
• Preparation, maintenance and negotiation of all contract templates, including ensuring that templates remain compliant with local law and regulation; contract negotiation, including GMRAs, GMSLAs, Collateral Management Agreements, ISDAs and related legal controls;
• Advising on legal aspects of developing new products and the implementation of strategic and regulatory change across the Market’s business lines in EMEA;
• Advising on legal risk and other legal aspects of service provision and contractual arrangements; and
• Providing advice (and members) to business risk committees and other relevant committees for EMEA Markets.
Responsibilities: (Key parts to the job role)
• To provide professional secretarial/administrative support to senior members of Markets Legal and other members of the EMEA Markets Legal team.
• To support EMEA wide initiatives as required by EMEA Legal CAO.
• To provide temporary support cover for other departmental lawyers and company secretarial staff within the London Legal Department as required, for example during vacation or other absence of their own primary administrative support, or else where time critical deliverables are required.
• To ensure that clients (internal and external) are dealt with efficiently and politely.
• Produce monthly and quarterly reporting required by EMEA Markets Legal including matter reporting.
To assist in general secretarial/administrative tasks, including but not limited to:
• Diary management using Outlook.
• Setting up video/webex/conference calls.
• Booking of training, conferences and seminars.
• Travel arrangements, including production of detailed itineraries.
• Preparing and processing expenses.
• Dealing with IT and Facilities as required (procuring equipment, investigating IT issues, new starter setups etc).
• Organising and storing electronic and paper records associated with the role.
• Assisting in compiling MI reports.
• Assisting in managing internal know how resources.
To assist in legal secretarial tasks, including but not limited to:
• Creating a wide range of documents including contracts, presentations, agreements, reports, proposals, meeting agendas and other documents, using Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
• Assisting with the production of papers for internal and external use (printing, photocopying, binding and delivery to clients).
• Proof reading and where appropriate commenting on legal letters and documents.
• Dealing with routine legal and non-legal correspondence (telephone, written, fax, email) and referring to other staff as appropriate.
• Supporting the management of the EMEA Markets Legal Outside Counsel Billing queue.
• Organising and maintaining law libraries, know-how, documents and case files.
• Maintaining training and absence records as required.
Requirements; (what we are looking for)
• Previous experience in performing a senior assistant role within an in-house legal department or else in a law firm environment is preferable.
• Proven administrative, secretarial, document production and PA experience, along with advanced knowledge of MS Office packages, especially Word, Power Point and Excel.
• Experience of internal financial and expense management systems and following internal financial and billing processes.
• The successful candidate should be organised, efficient and capable of working to instructions with minimum supervision. In addition to these attributes they must have:
o The ability to work to tight deadlines, prioritising tasks accordingly.
o Extensive diary management experience, including the ability to proactively manage diary conflicts and short notice diary changes.
o Strong project management skills, supporting effective tracking of tasks through to successful completion.
o Excellent organisational skills in order to support the effective storage of electronic and paper records associated with the role.
o Demonstrate sound judgment and good decision making when dealing with problems – able to solve challenging problems.
o A proactive and enthusiastic approach to work.
o Strong communication skills (both written and verbal) and strong interpersonal skills.
o Proven experience of successfully managing internal and external stakeholders both by telephone and face to face, including leveraging influencing skills to achieve role objectives.
o Operate effectively and collaboratively as part of a wider team of assistants both within EMEA legal and with wider executive/business stakeholders.
o Proactive in building and maintaining strong working relationships that support effective completion of the role.
o Seen as approachable and helpful.
o Exhibit a desire to broadly understand BNY Mellon’s business.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: United Kingdom-Greater London-London
Internal Jobcode: 76002
Organization: Legal Affairs-HR06241
Requisition Number: 1905551