BNY Mellon Careers
Market Intelligence Director
Who we are
For over 230 years, Bank of New York Mellon (BNY Mellon) has been at the center of the global financial markets, providing the world’s leading institutions the tools, capabilities, and services to be distinctive investors. BNY Mellon has approximately $15 billion in revenues and market capitalization of approximately $50 billion
BNY Mellon is a leader in the world of investment services and investment management, and our businesses support the full range of stakeholders of the financial system including:
- Managing the custody of over $31 trillion financial assets of the world’s leading institutional investors, hedge funds, sovereign wealth funds, and corporates
- Investing over $1.8 trillion as one of the largest global asset managers across a wide range of asset classes
- Providing collateral, liquidity, and funding for the world’s largest banks through our markets franchise
- Serving family offices and high net worth individuals in our top 10 wealth manager ($250 billion assets)
- Providing a full suite of solutions to advisors, broker-dealers, family offices, hedge and '40 Act fund managers, registered investment advisor firms and wealth managers (over $1.8 trillion in client assets)
- Advising large global corporations on a range of trust and other solutions
- Providing integrated managed data services to asset managers (over $4.7 trillion)
In addition, BNY Mellon is a strategic partner to a variety of financial technology companies and a convener of influential industry and market structure forums.
What we are doing
The global strategy team was launched to help develop and implement BNY Mellon’s long-term objectives, shape external partnerships and alliances, and respond to the increasingly dynamic financial services ecosystem. The group and its head, Akash Shah, report to Chairman & CEO Charlie Scharf.
The team plays a central role in the building of BNY Mellon’s global strategy and narrative. The team works with senior leaders to help shape the initiatives that build into the Bank’s overall strategic priorities. In addition, the strategy function will lead an inter-disciplinary portfolio of corporate and business priorities on themes such as growth, innovation, efficiency, and resiliency among others. The group also leads in developing external partnerships with clients, technology and data companies, and industry alliances. This group is charged with developing strategy, incubating enterprise opportunities, and driving execution in partnership with businesses and other functions.
The function aspires to be a talent incubator for the Bank by providing exceptional developmental opportunities for high-potential colleagues. The team will be located in all of BNY Mellon’s regional hubs – New York, London, and Hong Kong – and operate as a truly global function.The role
Given the substantial and increasing complexity of all of the markets in which BNY Mellon operates, there is an even greater need to have pro-active, timely, and contextualized perspectives on changes to market structure, competitor moves, and the implications for our clients and BNY Mellon.
We are forming a Market Intelligence team that will operate globally across all our businesses, informing BNY Mellon’s corporate strategy, business initiatives and marketing activities including communications and thought leadership. We are looking to fill positions at our global headquarters in New York City, and would report to Akash Shah, head of Strategy.
This is a unique opportunity to form a new capability and build an industry-leading team, while leveraging BNY Mellon’s existing capabilities and accessing its client and partner network. Individuals must be entrepreneurial, and will help shape the team’s vision, norms and long-term value proposition.
- Building a perspective on the overall market structure, how clients, competitors, and other participants are evolving, and the implications for BNY Mellon
- Delivering industry and market expertise to help develop, shape and articulate BNY Mellon’s global banking and digital strategy;
- Working with the various businesses and functions to build proprietary insights on the former
- Delivering real-time actionable insights on industry, competitor, partner and client trends and current events (e.g., as regular “digest” to the senior leadership of the company and beyond);
- Informing and supporting the creation of thought-leadership that enhances BNY Mellon’s brand and ‘share of mind’ with industry and client leaders; and
- Coordinating and creating firm-wide perspectives on topics relevant to our strategy.
The successful candidate will have a passion for and track record in:
- Being intellectually curious with a deep expertise in and passion for one or more segments of the financial services and banking industry;
- Synthesizing complex information to derive and communicate actionable insights;
- Communicating complex ideas effectively – both verbally and in writing;
- Partnering across teams and engaging multiple senior leaders to identify opportunities, create knowledge and drive action;
- Maintaining a strong external orientation to both derive and share insights;
- Cultivating relationships with internal and external partners to support activities;
- Being entrepreneurial and results driven; and
- Acting with a clear sense of accountability and urgency
10 years of relevant experience, preferably in wholesale banking, consulting, financial technology or research; Strong, fundamental approach to research; Strong work ethic and attention to detail; Strong interpersonal skills and experience in collaborative, results-oriented environments; and Strong academic credentials.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Minorities/Females/Individuals With Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
Primary Location: United States-New York-New York
Internal Jobcode: 70145
Organization: Strategy Global-HR17285
Requisition Number: 1906229