BNY Mellon Careers
Newton - Desktop Support Analyst
Newton Investment Management Limited is an active investment management firm, using thematic ideas about the long-term investment landscape to create and manage strategies that help secure clients’ futures. Newton thinks on a global basis, with its single London-based investment team working collaboratively across asset classes and regions. The firm builds bold solutions, designed to meet the real-world challenges clients face, and the team manage them responsibly in the broadest sense – through embedding environmental, social and governance considerations, and engaging on issues that affect their clients. Those clients are based around the world, and include pension funds, corporations and charities and, via Newton’s parent company BNY Mellon, individuals.
With offices in London and New York, Newton has £46.7bn (as at 31 December 2018) under management. News and other information about Newton is available at www.newtonim.com and via Twitter: @NewtonIM
Newton employees are bright, inquisitive, thoughtful and collaborative. They are highly motivated to deliver performance and service to clients. Newton prides itself on being an employer of choice, with a flexible working environment and a commitment to diversity and opportunity among its employees.
Newton is a professional, friendly and collegiate place to work. The firm looks to attract individuals who are keen to work as part of a team, in a meritocratic environment, and who are driven to help make the organisation a great place to work.
Newton has chosen to directly resource desktop support services as a replacement to the BNY Mellon shared service to ensure a dedicated, professional service with excellent responsiveness and client service.
Newton Technology Support (NTS) and the Desktop Support team leader are the concierge service to the Newton business, providing advice and guidance and taking direct ownership for issues affecting Newton and its ability to function.
Senior Desktop Support Analyst is cognizant of Newton’s choice to have a dedicated premier support function and ensures the client experience is measurably different to the BNY Mellon shared service model in terms of client service, ownership, innovation, technical breadth and professionalism.
• Escalate where appropriate to line management or the Technology Management team.
• Inform line management or the Technology Management team where significant issues are encountered.
• Provide consultancy and training support (post implementation) to business resources, likely in a ‘train the trainer’ capacity.
• As a senior role coaching & mentoring on best practices to junior members of the team.
• Build and maintain an understanding of Newton business processes, information flows and IT requirements
• Carry out regular morning systems health checks, and report accordingly.
• Undertake out of hours / weekend support as required.
• Manage small technical initiatives providing regular updates to line management.
• Ensure all desktop work is recorded and tracked in Jira Service Desk. Assure the quality and frequency of comments on all assigned tickets meets the agreed standards.
• Where responsibility for the remediation falls outside of your remit, you retains ownership, providing business updates and communication until an alternative owner has taken responsibility whether within, or external to Newton.
• Follow and develop support standards as they relate to problem solving, communication, fault recording and reporting.
• Liaise with business staff, corporate IT shared services, and the projects and development team as required carrying out these responsibilities.
• Participate in development scrum meetings as appropriate.
• Maintain knowledge of technology and business processes (upkeep of Knowledge Repositories & WiKis)
• Provide reporting/management information as required, to the highest quality within the timescale agreed.
• Liaise with product vendors when necessary to log issues, request assistance in the resolution of these issues and gain further understanding of products.
• Ensure integration with our Development, Test, Project and BA teams as necessary to continuously improve the environment, application stability and wider business understanding.
• Be aware of information risk, following prescribed processes escalating observed situations to the Newton SIRO as appropriate
Provide accurate and appropriate management information to Senior Management.
Comply with all corporate policies and procedures including Health and Safety Policy.
Financial (if appropriate):
• Manage any delegated budget in a manner that will best serve Newton’s best interests.
• Provide the Finance Department with monthly tracking and projection information.
TCF, Regulatory and Compliance Responsibilities:
Be aware, maintain knowledge and adhere to the relevant regulatory and legal obligation of the function managed, including local and wider group policies. This should include an understanding, and the appropriate application, of the FSA requirements, the Six Consumer Outcomes and Newton’s TCF commitments. Report any suspected breaches to the Compliance or Legal departments, as appropriate immediately on discovery.
Monitor, document and report business risks and internal controls of the function managed, alerting Senior Management immediately of any significant changes.
• Maintaining and test a current and effective continuity plan to ensure an appropriate response to any disruption to systems, information services, communications and office facilities.
Staff (if appropriate):
• Provide clear direction and leadership to teams managed.
• Set professional example to staff
• Support and encourages staff development, objective setting and appraisal.
• Ensure adequate succession plans are in place for the functions managed
• Adaptability – especially towards new technologies, skills transfer and a flexible attitude towards work activities. Although the core skill required for this role is the ability to support Middle Office systems and related technologies, a willingness and ability to support other applications and related technologies are essential in this role.
• Strong communication skills – the ability to express ideas concisely, effectively and clearly to both business and technology audiences – both verbally and in writing – is an important facet of the job.
• Customer Orientation – an ability to clearly understand user and client needs as well as meet and exceed their expectations.
• Continuous improvement – a demonstrated commitment to previous and continuous learning.
• Excellent technical aptitude and literacy
• A strong team player – working effectively as part of a team including a keenness to help team members.
• Initiative - self motivation, a pro-active approach when dealing with problems, and capable of working under minimum supervision.
• Planning and Organisation – able to manage and prioritise workload effectively to meet commitments, allied to a focus on process and procedure
• Delivery focus – the ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines to achieve results is a key component of this role
• Problem solving – the ability to demonstrate a logical, rational and methodical approach to resolving problems and issues.
• Personal Accountability – the ability to demonstrate personal responsibility for events, outcomes and commitments.
• Tenacity – perseverance in the face of obstacles and setbacks
Mandatory & Desirable Skills:
• Windows OS Administration
• Mobile Device Administration
• UNIX OS Administration
• Basic Database Skills (Oracle & SQL)
• Basic Knowledge of Programing Languages (Microsoft .NET, HTLM5)
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: United Kingdom-Greater London-London
Job: Asset Management
Internal Jobcode: 51594
Requisition Number: 1906335