BNY Mellon Careers
Newton - Head of Product Management & Development
Newton Investment Management Limited is an active investment management firm, using thematic ideas about the long-term investment landscape to create and manage strategies that help secure clients’ futures. Newton thinks on a global basis, with its single London-based investment team working collaboratively across asset classes and regions. The firm builds bold solutions, designed to meet the real-world challenges clients face, and the team manage them responsibly in the broadest sense – through embedding environmental, social and governance considerations, and engaging on issues that affect their clients. Those clients are based around the world, and include pension funds, corporations and charities and, via Newton’s parent company BNY Mellon, individuals.
With offices in London and New York, Newton has £46.7bn (as at 31 December 2018) under management. News and other information about Newton is available at www.newtonim.com and via Twitter: @NewtonIM
Newton employees are bright, inquisitive, thoughtful and collaborative. They are highly motivated to deliver performance and service to clients. Newton prides itself on being an employer of choice, with a flexible working environment and a commitment to diversity and opportunity among its employees.
Newton is a professional, friendly and collegiate place to work. The firm looks to attract individuals who are keen to work as part of a team, in a meritocratic environment, and who are driven to help make the organisation a great place to work.
The Head of Product Development & Management is a senior leadership level role within the Commercial Team at Newton Investment Management Limited reporting to the Chief Commercial Officer.
The primary role of the Head of Product Development & Management team is to ensure that Newton’s global product offering is developed, managed and positioned appropriately. This involves product strategy, development and management responsibilities as well as managing a team of 4.
This is a high profile position where the individual will work in close partnership with the Newton Executive (CEO, CIO, CCO, CRO and COO) as well as other senior leaders across the business most notably in the Strategy, Commercial, Investment, Risk & Compliance and Operational departments as well as with the BNY Mellon Distribution teams & Fund Providers to fully leverage these relationships and ensure the successful development of Newton’s business and product strategy.
As a senior leader the individual will be required to represent the Commercial Team at several of Newton Committees and Oversight Groups, be the Deputy Chair of the Product & Commercial Committee and act as Newton’s Treating Customers Fairly (TCF) Champion and Chair of Newton’s TCF & Conflicts of Interest (“COI”) Committee.
- Working with the Newton’s business strategy, commercial and investment teams to identify channel demand drivers, current and future client needs and collaborate with the Investment and Commercial team leaders to develop and define Newton’s product strategy.
- This will involve working with senior leaders across the business including the Newton Executive, Head of Business Strategy, Investment & Commercial Team Leaders as well as and the BNY Mellon Heads of Distribution and Product globally.
- Develop of a robust process to ensure Newton can effectively prioritise developments to facilitate informed decision making. Ensure that comprehensive product proposals, recommendations and specifications for new products are produced to a high and consistent standard, for senior management approvals including competitor /market/regulatory analysis as appropriate.
- Effectively manage and oversee the product prioritisation, development and design process, which will include working with the Business Strategy, Investment & Commercial Team Leaders to agree investment design parameters, naming, pricing as well as identifying product vehicle needs.
- Oversee and manage all product developments linking effectively with the relevant departments within Newton and BNY Mellon most notably the product development and management teams.
- Regularly reviewing existing products in conjunction with the business strategy, commercial and investment teams this will involve monitoring of performance, AUM and sales flows (including realisations of sales projections for recently launched products) and pricing etc.in order to make recommend changes to current products to improve client outcomes and consequently, make them more commercially successful.
- Working collaboratively with the distribution and marketing leaders on developing product agendas, defining and managing the core product messages for the product ranges and ensure that these are consistently expressed across marketing, client reporting and regulatory materials.
- Proactively keeping up to date and informed about regulatory developments providing relevant expertise (e.g. product vehicle, trends) as required.
- Ensure that the Chares River coding for funds is accurate and comprehensive in collaboration with the Newton Compliance and Investment Management Systems and Investment Process Team ensuring new funds are set up appropriate and changes to existing Funds are reflected in coded restrictions.
- Ensure the relevant reports are prepared and presented to the relevant BNY Mellon Fund Providers & Boards as required and oversee the co-ordination & completion of any Risk or Compliance, Due Diligence and SLA questionnaires required by the BNY Mellon Fund Providers and co-ordinate the hosting of the regular due diligence visits.
- Responsible for overseeing the co-ordination of the reporting, escalation and resolution of any fund breaches
- Responsible for overseeing the co-ordination of Newton’s review & drafting of the relevant statutory documents
Senior Leadership & Relationship Management:
- Acting alongside the Chief Commercial Officer and the wider Commercial team (including Consultant Relations, Partnered Distribution and Marketing) as the commercial bridge between Newton and the BNY Mellon Fund Provider & Distributors communicating Newton’s business & product strategy and priorities and considering issues across the marketing mix such as product positioning, pricing, distribution, product structure and capacity management and portfolio manager changes as appropriate.
- Responsible for managing Newton’s overall relationship with BNY Mellon Fund Providers where Newton acts as the investment manager/sub-investment advisor. This will involve establishing and maintaining effective relationships with the BNY Mellon product development, product management, operations, compliance, risk and sales & marketing teams as well as legal to ensure that Newton’s investment management and distribution of mutual funds are aligned to expectations within the BNY Mellon Fund Providers & Distributors own activities.
• University Graduate, CFA preferred
• Experience in financial services industry, primarily asset management
• Prior experience working with various product vehicles such as OEICs, SICAVs & other UCITS, 40 Act Funds, Bank Collective Funds, SMA/UMA advisory accounts etc.
• A proven ability to help design and launch appropriate investment strategies, including the relevant product wrappers and features to meet the target investors’ demands
• Proven leadership capabilities with some track record in people management with experience identifying and developing talent
• Strong communication skills and experience at building senior relationships with an ability to develop, influence and work within a global organisation across product, investment, distribution, marketing, relationship management, operations, legal and compliance etc.
• A sophisticated understanding of investing, covering the key asset categories and ideally a proven ability to identify product trends and to design the appropriate products to meet investor demands
• Understanding of strategy and business development processes, practices and applications, together with sound knowledge of the operational and regulatory frameworks as they pertain to products
• Unassailable ethics and integrity with a straightforward, honest and agenda free approach
• Senior level presence with the capability to project credibility and gain trust and respect at all levels
• Professional curiosity to identify and drive new ideas or opportunities
• Enthusiastic and optimistic with a drive to succeed and a willingness to take managed risks
• High Emotional Intelligence and strong problem-solving ability
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: United Kingdom-Greater London-London
Job: Asset Management
Internal Jobcode: 51842
Organization: INVESTMENT BOUTIQUES AM-HR17966
Requisition Number: 1906806