BNY Mellon Careers
Global Head of Anti-Tax Evasion
Overview Of BNY Mellon:
BNY Mellon is a global financial services company focused on helping clients manage and service their financial assets, operating in 35 countries and serving more than 100 markets. BNY Mellon is a leading provider of financial services for institutions, corporations and high-net-worth individuals, providing superior asset management and wealth management, asset servicing, issuer services, clearing services and treasury services through a worldwide client-focused team.
The role of the Global Head of Anti-Tax Evasion is primarily to assist the EMEA Group MLRO (who is responsible for the Global Anti-Tax Evasion Office – ATEO) update and maintain a robust Global Anti-Tax Evasion framework and programme and to lead core elements of the programme in order to support BNY Mellon lines of business and legal entities in complying with local regulatory requirements and expectations and with corporate policies. Additionally, to assist the Anti-Bribery & Corruption and Anti-Tax Evasion EMEA Compliance Manager to further develop the Anti-Bribery & Corruption programme for EMEA.
(Outline responsibilities, accountabilities, deliverables and desired output of the role, as well as key relationships, e.g. clients, internal liaison points, external organisations etc.)
• Framework: Responsible for the continued development of the Anti-Tax evasion programme to ensure compliance with relevant legislation and expectations.
• Regulatory Analysis: Take the lead on analysis of new and amended Anti-Tax Evasion legislation. Working with global, regional and local colleagues, take a leading role on gap analyses, as required, to consider the impact on individual business lines and legal entities.
• Projects: Participate in relevant regional and global projects and initiatives.
• Risk Assessment: Lead on the development and update of the Anti-Tax Evasion risk assessment process and the ongoing global risk assessment periodic updates. Ensure development of processes and controls based on the outcome of the risk assessment.
• Anti-Tax Evasion Awareness & Training: Increasing awareness of obligations and responsibilities and helping to promote a culture of compliance and control by conducting periodic training needs analysis and designing and delivering targeted training in light of that analysis.
• Industry Working Groups: Participate in relevant working groups to ensure continued awareness of Anti-Tax evasion developments. Take the lead as representative on the Joint Money Laundering Intelligence Taskforce Tax Evasion Expert Working Group to keep up-to-date of emerging tax risks underpinning the laundering of illicit money flows.
• Policy: Ensuring that the policy framework is consistent with key legal and regulatory requirements and is regularly reviewed and updated.
• Governance and MI, Escalation and Reporting: Attend relevant committees as required. Enhance and develop management information. Ensure issues identified from risk assessment, monitoring and other analysis are appropriately escalated and reported.
• Suspicious Activity Reporting: In conjunction with the EMEA Group MLRO and ABC/ATE EMEA Compliance Manager, ensure that suspicious activity reports received are properly reviewed and assessed, issues impacting the wider group are identified, correct reporting and information sharing and follow up actions are addressed.
• Assist the Anti-Bribery & Corruption and Anti-Tax Evasion EMEA Compliance Manager to further develop the Anti-Bribery & Corruption programme for EMEA.
• Liaising with colleagues/peers in other jurisdictions on Global Anti-Tax Evasion programme matters and issues of common interest
• Using extensive industry experience to make well informed decisions that have positive impact on the strategic direction of the function and by providing technical programme advice to the team.
• Helping to ensure a strong governance culture is embedded, that issues are escalated and cascaded appropriately and that key risks are identified, discussed and mitigated.
• Building a good understanding of the governance framework, including escalation requirements.
Generic Staff Responsibilities:
Comply with all BNY Mellon corporate policies and procedures, including HR policies and procedures and departmental procedures
- Alert management immediately of any significant changes to business risks and internal control effectiveness
- Notify management and the Head of EMEA Compliance and/or the Chief Compliance and Ethics Officer immediately on discovery of any material regulatory breach
- Comply with all Security and Health & Safety policies and procedures operating within the business.
- Customer Orientation
- Interpersonal Skills
- Managing Risk.
Job Specific Competencies / Technical skills / knowledge
- Extensive Financial Services Anti-Tax Evasion / AML / Compliance / Legal experience
- Thorough knowledge of laws, regulations and expectations of European and UK Regulators
- Awareness of US and other foreign rules a strong advantage
- Ability to work under time pressure in calm, professional manner in an environment of change
- Strong analytical skills, problem-solving ability and attention to detail;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- The ability to handle stressful situations with internal clients and regulators, while maintaining a professional approach to problem solving.
- Ability to effectively deal with senior management as well as Regulators as required.
- Strong planning skills
- Collaborative approach and ability to work well within a team environment
- Proven sound judgment
- Ability to take on and complete tasks with minimal oversight
- Experience of working in a global firm an advantage
- Experience of working with regulatory bodies an advantage.
- Proven leadership abilities with experience of reporting to senior management and governance fora.
Academic/Professional Qualifications (or equivalent qualifiers)
Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: United Kingdom-Greater London-London
Internal Jobcode: 85168
Organization: Compliance & Ethics-HR06015
Requisition Number: 1906871