BNY Mellon Careers
UK Accounting Specialist
As the lead accounting specialist for the UK Controllers group you will support the UK Financial Controller in ensuring that generally accepted accounting practice (GAAP – US and IFRS) and the corporate accounting policies (CAP) are adhered to for all UK entities and statutory reporting is of a high quality. This will include ensuring the Financial Statements across the group entities in the UK are consistent, in line with External Auditors expectations, meet accounting and disclosure requirements and represent the entity’s business and transactions correctly.
This will include working closely with the external auditors and Technical Accounting group to ensure that the books and records correctly account for both standard and non-standard transactions and identify where IFRS and US GAAP diverge. Where the two GAAPs diverge ensure that there is well documented and the appropriate adjustments are made in the IFRS ledger.
Through the audit cycle working closely with the legal entity controllers ensure that the audit is well managed and effective.
A key part of the role will be to ensure that UK Controllers is ready for accounting change so a proactive approach will be required to identify and articulate what needs to be implemented and the associated time lines. From time to time detailed papers will need to be written is support of a position the Corporation has taken that will stand up to scrutiny from the external auditors.
There will also be opportunities to bring your experience and insight to the wider BNYM group in support of particular transactions or identification of issues where the solution will be outside of Finance. Thus being able to work across different areas and building robust relationships will enable you to have a far reaching impact.Key responsibilities: Governance
- Ensure there is tight governance over accounting interpretations
- Work with counterparts across the region to ensure consistency of treatment and application
- Quarterly attestations to the US on compliance with GAAP and corporate accounting policy
- Oversight of the IFRS balance sheet reconciliation process
- Work with the Technical Accounting group on complex accounting issues
- Analysis of transactions, in particular the impact to the balance sheet and P&L
- Working closely with the regulatory reporting team to ensure the accounting decisions flow through correctly to financial regulatory reports
- Consistent high quality financial statements that meet the stakeholders’ expectations
- Working closely with the external auditors to ensure group and local audits are well managed and meet the agreed timetable
- Implementation of new accounting standards
- Lead UK effort for practical implementation
- Understand the impact across legal entities
- Communication of accounting or policy changes to legal entity controllers and other stakeholders
Person Specification/ Qualifications:
- Qualified accountant with significant post qualification experience
- Financial services experience preferred
- In depth knowledge of IFRS and US GAAP
- Proven track record in translating accounting theory into practical application
- Project management and outsourcing experiences would be desirable
- Exposure to PeopleSoft general ledger beneficial
- Excellent communicator who is able to articulate complex accounting issues
- Strong technical analytical skills
- Organised and structured
- Ability to collaborate across Finance and the wider organisation
- Able to work in a complex global organisation
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: United Kingdom-Greater Manchester-Manchester
Internal Jobcode: 85086
Requisition Number: 1907585