BNY Mellon Careers
Newton - Manager- Business Administration
Newton Investment Management Limited is an active investment management firm, using thematic ideas about the long-term investment landscape to create and manage strategies that help secure clients’ futures. Newton thinks on a global basis, with its single London-based investment team working collaboratively across asset classes and regions. The firm builds bold solutions, designed to meet the real-world challenges clients face, and the team manage them responsibly in the broadest sense – through embedding environmental, social and governance considerations, and engaging on issues that affect their clients. Those clients are based around the world, and include pension funds, corporations and charities and, via Newton’s parent company BNY Mellon, individuals.
With offices in London and New York, Newton has £46.7bn (as at 31 December 2018) under management. News and other information about Newton is available at www.newtonim.com and via Twitter: @NewtonIM
Newton employees are bright, inquisitive, thoughtful and collaborative. They are highly motivated to deliver performance and service to clients. Newton prides itself on being an employer of choice, with a flexible working environment and a commitment to diversity and opportunity among its employees.
Newton is a professional, friendly and collegiate place to work. The firm looks to attract individuals who are keen to work as part of a team, in a meritocratic environment, and who are driven to help make the organisation a great place to work.
The Business Administration function delivers administrative tasks that span multiple Newton business areas, the majority of which have a corporate policy or regulatory impact. Responsibilities include ownership of the firm’s Business Continuity and Crisis Management programmes, central administration and oversight of the offshoring arrangement with the Newton team in BNYM India, the provision of Vendor Management support, as well as a variety of other business-wide administrative support tasks e.g. training and recruitment initiatives. The team works closely with the Business Control function which delivers control related administrative tasks to the firm. Together the two functions form the Newton Business Management team.
The Manager – Business Administration ensures that all allocated work and incoming issues are dealt with without risk to the company, in an efficient manner and to the satisfaction of all internal and external clients, and is responsible for the management oversight of all responsibilities and the line management of staff
Manage the day-to-day work of the Business Administration function (as detailed in the following bullets). Maintain oversight and control of all responsibilities ensuring that effective checklists and procedure documents are in place where appropriate and that a culture of collaboration and continuous process improvement exists.
- Deliver the Business Continuity programme for Newton ensuring compliance with the related corporate policies and industry best practices. Includes co-ordination and oversight of the Business Impact Analysis work and the resultant Business Continuity Plans, and testing of the Plans, as well as promoting employee engagement with the programme and providing training and employee communications as required. The Manager will act as the Business Resilience Co-ordinator for Newton, reporting into the BNYM Enterprise Resilience Office and taking specific responsibility for designing and maintaining an effective Newton response to the BNYM ERO programme requirements. The Manager will also act as the Deputy Chair of the Business Continuity Oversight Group (BCOG).
- Deliver the Crisis Management programme for Newton ensuring compliance with the related corporate policies and industry best practices. Includes ownership of the Newton Crisis Management Team (NCMT) Plan and the Newton Crisis Response Checklist and maintenance of NCMT member contact details. In a live business disruption event, team personnel will support the emergency response by acting as NCMT Administrators which includes facilitating NCMT meetings, tracking decisions and actions, liaising with BNYM Crisis Management counterparts and overseeing staff relocation to alternate sites. The Manager will act as Lead NCMT Administrator. Also includes the design and delivery of an annual NCMT test scenario.
- Manage the administration and oversight of the offshored Newton team in BNYM India (Pune). Includes maintenance of the outsourcing documents in line with FCA SYSC Regulation, the maintenance of internal records, the co-ordination of service review requirements at team level and at senior management level, and the support of London teams in the planning and implementation of the offshoring of tasks and the ongoing oversight requirements.
- Support the Vendor Management programme at Newton ensuring compliance with the related corporate policies and industry best practices. Assist the Newton Relationship Owners and the Outsourced Activities Oversight Group (OAOG) with the risk monitoring and service review of Vendors (Outsourced Function Providers, Service Providers and Shared Services). Includes ownership of the Newton Provider Pack and the Newton OFP Risk Assessment templates, co-ordination of the annual quality review of live Provider Packs and the update of live Risk Assessment documents, as well as the reconciliation of Newton vs BNYM Vendor records.
- Design and administer in-house training programmes. Includes delivery of a monthly Induction training session for all new joiners and an annual programme of Business Overviews for all staff. Work with presenters to support the delivery of effective presentations, and elicit feedback from attendees in order to support a continuous improvement approach to the training programmes content and materials. Track requirements for soft skill training courses and research and promote BNYM provided training where appropriate. Where there is no internal provision, research and book external trainers and administer the sessions to ensure maximum attendance / value is achieved.
- Undertake other regular or adhoc administrative functions which span multiple business areas e.g. anti-money laundering screening; system user access reviews, cost centre control, and employee absence management.
Provide support and cover as required for the Manager - Business Control and Head of Business Management by maintaining a good working knowledge of all Business Management team responsibilities.
Represent the team in meetings (internal and external) when required and demonstrate effective relationships with other Newton and BNYM areas.
Ensure all Management Information and Compliance reporting (and adhoc reporting to any other business area) for the team is completed e.g. monthly management sign-off packs, team statistics and trend analysis. Provide input into audit and control processes (internal and external auditors of Newton) on behalf of the team.
Complete the annual BNYM performance appraisal process for all team personnel.
Contribute to key business strategic projects and initiatives.
The ideal candidate can be described as follows:
Administration: is highly organised – works in a purposeful way - plans - keeps clear records - shows attention to detail – knows what’s going on – builds clear and effective processes – has a clear strategy.
Communication: has excellent written and verbal communication skills – delivers messages in a clear and compelling way - is a confident and articulate presenter – is calm – maintains a constructive approach in a pressured situation – listens to others – is open-minded.
Collaboration: establishes and maintains effective relationships – is confident working with senior level management - recognises the need to change approach to suit different personnel, situations or group dynamics – is an influencer - gains trust and support – is easy to work with – asks for feedback / support – takes criticism in a non-defensive manner.
Results: gets things done – is dynamic - takes ownership of issues and tackles them in a positive way – is adaptable – can take an idea and put it into practice – is innovative and looks for new ways of doing things – sees the bigger picture – anticipates future requirements / trends – takes on added responsibilities - identifies training and development opportunities.
Leadership: is an experienced and motivational line manager – promotes trust and strong morale within a team – empowers team members – pushes the team to achieve – leads by example – supports change as a positive thing – mentors and develops others
TCF, Regulatory and Compliance Responsibilities
• Be aware, maintain knowledge and adhere to the relevant regulatory and legal obligation of the function managed, including local and wider group policies. This should include an understanding, and the appropriate application, of the FCA requirements, the Six Consumer Outcomes and Newton’s TCF commitments. Report any suspected breaches to the Compliance or Legal departments, as appropriate immediately on discovery.
• Monitor, document and report business risks and internal controls of the function managed, alerting Senior Management immediately of any significant changes.
• Provide accurate and appropriate management information to Senior Management.
• Maintaining and test a current and effective continuity plan to ensure an appropriate response to any disruption to systems, information services, communications and office facilities.
Staff (if appropriate)
• Provide clear direction and leadership to teams managed.
• Set professional example to staff
• Support and encourages staff development, objective setting and appraisal.
• Ensure adequate succession plans are in place for the functions managed
Financial (if appropriate)
• Manage any delegated budget in a manner that will best serve Newton’s best interests.
• Provide the Finance Department with monthly tracking and projection information.
BNY Mellon Generic Staff Responsibilities:
• Comply with all BNY Mellon corporate policies and procedures, including HR policies and procedures, applicable to BNY Mellon
• Alert management including the Chief Risk Officer and / or the EMEA Chief Risk Officer immediately of any significant changes to business risks and internal control effectiveness.
• Notify management and/or the Chief Compliance and Ethics Officer and Head of International Compliance immediately on discovery of any material regulatory breach.
• Comply with all Security and Health & Safety policies and procedures operating within the business.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: United Kingdom-Greater London-London
Job: Asset Management
Internal Jobcode: 51578
Organization: INVESTMENT BOUTIQUES AM-HR17966
Requisition Number: 1907773