Who we are
For over 230 years, Bank of New York Mellon (BNY Mellon) has been at the center of the global financial markets, providing the world’s leading institutions the tools, capabilities, and services to be distinctive investors. BNY Mellon has approximately $15 billion in revenues and market capitalization of approximately $50 billion.
BNY Mellon is a leader in the world of investment services and investment management, and our businesses support the full range of stakeholders of the financial system including:
- Managing the custody of over $31 trillion financial assets of the world’s leading institutional investors, hedge funds, sovereign wealth funds, and corporates
- Investing over $1.8 trillion as one of the largest global asset managers across a wide range of asset classes
- Providing collateral, liquidity, and funding for the world’s largest banks through our markets franchise
- Serving family offices and high net worth individuals in our top 10 wealth manager ($250 billion assets)
- Providing a full suite of solutions to advisors, broker-dealers, family offices, hedge and '40 Act fund managers, registered investment advisor firms and wealth managers (over $1.8 trillion in client assets)
- Advising large global corporations on a range of trust and other solutions
- Providing integrated managed data services to asset managers (over $4.7 trillion)
In addition, BNY Mellon is a strategic partner to a variety of financial technology companies and a convener of influential industry and market structure forums.
What we are doing
The Digital Office is at the forefront of BNY Mellon’s digital transformation and offers the opportunity to work with senior digital leaders across the firm. Launched in 2018, the Digital Office works across all BNY Mellon lines of business to address client priorities and regulatory concerns. As a result, candidates who join will work with a truly cross-functional team to re-imagine challenging business problems and build new solutions. Through this, candidates will gain tangible experience in new digital ways of working and problem solving, using data to drive decision making. Collectively, this will broaden their understanding of the firm and make them a stronger digitally-capable candidate that will enable them to serve as the next generation of BNY Mellon senior leaders.
The Innovation Center Network is part of the Digital Office serves as a springboard for innovation within the organization. At BNY Mellon Innovation centers, we focus on accelerating the firm's digital initiatives, tested and exploring ideas, transforming the way we work, partnering with clients and the wider ecosystem to develop solutions that service our clients and shape the industry.
You are the right fit for this role if you:
- Are excellent communicator and storyteller with the ability to communicate organizational vision, direction to the c-suite as well as hold your own in deep dive technical discussion with engineers and digital leaders.
- Are self-driven and entrepreneurial with a strong sense of ownership and a desire to drive change within the organization
- Able to community organize within the organization to get great work done
- Enjoy continuous improvement and raising the bar constantly for the team and wider organization
- Enjoy delivering scalable and robust solutions in dynamic environment working in cross functional teams
- Are comfortable in challenging status quo and excel in dealing with ambiguity
- Have hands-on approach to work and/or successful experience in building products in an agile and lean startup environment
- Have a 'can-do' attitude to start and finish ideas execution
Role Description and Responsibilities
The candidate is responsible for leading all aspects of the Innovation center operation from shaping innovation project portfolios, delivering minimum lovable products, hosting client visits, recruiting and developing high performance teams, running and delivering client/industry engagement events, evangelizing our innovation agenda and success stories, as well as collaborating to transition product for commercialization. The candidate will collaborate with her/his peers in the other innovation centers forming a tightly aligned Global Innovation network with consistent disciplined execution focused operating model.
- Partner with other Innovation Center Leads, global digital and business leaders to identify, scope and deliver innovation opportunities
- Provide leadership and organize virtual and cross functional teams throughout the incubation lifecycle
- Lead, mentor, and inspire resident and non-resident innovation teams
- Partner with business to design, lead and facilitate client co-creation workshop using design thinking and agile approach to deepen client engagement and scout for innovation opportunities
- Present to both internal and external audiences to evangelize the firm's digital and innovation narrative, and showcase innovation success stories
- Develop relationship and partner with technology ecosystem, clients and peers to host industry events with the objective of sharing best practices and experiences, strengthening the firm's brand in digital space, and attracting talents.
- Manage clear and transparent book of work with measurable business outcome
- Hands-on experience in software engineering and good understanding of emerging technologies (AI, Machine Learning, Blockchain, Cloud, etc.) and their potential
- Contributing to the firms' digital communication / information sharing medium (i.e.: Blog posts, Podcast, etc.) to share our thought leadership, knowledge gained, and multiply success to the rest of the organization
- Cultivate the right culture and environment for innovation to flourish
- Highly collaborative being able to effectively navigate organization boundaries
- Ensure resident innovation team has access to appropriate resources (people, process and tools) to execute
- Facilitates co-location of internal and external team to execute on innovation ideas
- Bachelors or higher degree in computer science/engineering or a related discipline or equivalent professional experiences; Advanced Degree Preferred
- At least 10 years of related experience
- Experience in human centered design and lean startup methodologies
- Demonstrate successful experiences in innovation role with stellar track record in executing innovation ideas, and scaling innovation to wider organization
- Demonstrate successful experience in co-creation with technology ecosystems and/or clients
- Demonstrate experience and progression from hands-on development to delivering large and complex solution in global organization
- Management consulting experience or strategy experience with a digital focus is a plus.
- Experience in the securities or financial services industry preferred.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Minorities/Females/Individuals With Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
Primary Location: United States-California-Palo Alto
Internal Jobcode: 70194
Organization: Digital Horizon-HR18009
Requisition Number: 1908853