BNY Mellon Careers
Newton - Credit Analyst
Newton Investment Management is one of BNY Mellon Investment Management’s specialists, and they are a London-based global investment house with expertise in a range of disciplines, including global, regional and emerging-market equities, multi-asset strategies, absolute return investing and global bonds. A global, thematic approach to investment helps them achieve long-term perspective on global financial markets and economies, and identify areas of long-term risk and opportunity. Their belief is that responsible investment is better investment for clients and they consider ESG (environmental, social and governance) issues in relation to every company in which they invest. Newton is part of BNY Mellon Investment Management, one of the world's largest investment managers.
Newton has a nine-member fixed income team, led by Paul Brain, who are collectively responsible for all of Newton’s fixed income strategies and the fixed income component of our multi-asset portfolios. In total Newton manage over £11bn of fixed income assets across both standalone fixed income strategies and within multi-asset portfolios.
The fixed income team covers four broad market areas: government, emerging-market sovereigns, credit (high-yield) and credit (investment grade) and manages both benchmark-aware and absolute return fixed income strategies. The credit analysts work in close collaboration with the portfolio managers. They have their own respective sector specialisation, and they are expected to carry out original research into company fundamentals and business prospects in the context of Newton's thematic framework.
This opportunity is for a talented Credit Analyst to join our team to work on both high yield and investment grade corporate credit analysis with a significant focus on ESG.
• To maintain a thorough knowledge of the processes, products, trends and developments within the credit markets.
• To perform credit analysis using financial and non-financial information.
• Understanding and integrating ESG considerations into investment analysis as well as engaging with companies on financially material ESG issues
• To monitor both IG and high yield/distressed credits in all fixed income portfolios and models.
• To develop a clear view on the competitive position of both companies and products and the capabilities of management.
• To have a clear understanding of the strategic position of the industry within the global economy.
• To support investment ideas with timely and well written research and be responsive to research prioritisations.
• To manage meetings with companies to ensure the meeting is well managed, has an appropriate audience and a well led argument.
• To undertake research which is creative and imaginative and not merely maintenance.
• To develop a thorough understanding of Newton’s products relevant to area of responsibility.
• To maintain a good understanding of the asset management industry, market trends, issues and techniques.
• To share investment ideas with colleagues and contribute effectively to the investment debate.
• To display a positive approach to Compliance matters and to strictly adhere to Newton’s Compliance Manual.
• To work effectively with the Research team and to communicate investment ideas verbally and/or in writing.
• To liaise with sales and marketing as required.
Required Skills & Experience:
• A strong academic record (first or upper-second class degree)
• CFA Level 1 underway or equivalent (e.g. Accountancy)
• Previous experience in Credit Analysis
• Team player with exceptional communication skills (written and interpersonal)
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: United Kingdom-Greater London-London
Job: Asset Management
Internal Jobcode: 52066
Requisition Number: 1910637