BNY Mellon Careers
Conduct & Culture Senior Principal
Overview Of BNY Mellon:
BNY Mellon is a global financial services company focused on helping clients manage and service their financial assets, operating in 35 countries and serving more than 100 markets. BNY Mellon is a leading provider of financial services for institutions, corporations and high-net-worth individuals, providing superior asset management and wealth management, asset servicing, issuer services, clearing services and treasury services through a worldwide client-focused team.
The FCA have stated conduct and culture as a cross-sector strategic priority over a number of years.
The role will reside in the first line of defence and report to the EMEA Chief Control Officer. It is instrumental in overseeing and forming a holistic view of conduct and culture across the region and ensuring that it is properly assessed / measured, controlled and governed. The incumbent will play a key role in supporting the EMEA Chief Control Officer in determining root causes and trends in conduct related matters and its impact on the control environment, supporting the EMEA legal entities.
The BNY Mellon Conduct & Culture Senior Principal has responsibilities for the oversight of the Conduct & Culture Framework as it applies to BNY Mellon UK Banking Legal Entities, specifically the Bank of New York Mellon London Branch and BNY Mellon (International) Ltd. The Conduct & Culture Senior Principal has particular responsibility for maintaining the Conduct & Culture framework (including policy, governance, measurement and tools) and overseeing the compliance of UK entities with the framework, applicable policies and regulations. The Conduct & Culture Senior Principal is responsible for chairing the Conduct & Culture Council and producing related reporting for BNY Mellon International Board, London Branch Management Committee and other governance forums as well as interfacing with regulators, auditors and compliance monitoring on UK conduct matters.
• Responsibility for the documentation and maintenance of a robust Conduct & Culture framework which is consistent with the EMEA control framework approach and compliant with relevant BNY Mellon policies, risk principles and applicable regulations
• Responsibility for related control frameworks, including Inducements, Conflicts of Interest and Complaints handling
• Further embed measurement of conduct risk in collaboration with the global ethics teams, legal entity teams, the business and other key stakeholders in Risk and Compliance
• Support the lines of business to further embed key controls over complaints handling, Conflicts and Inducements
• Collaborate with global teams on the development and implementation of relevant tools
• Chair the EMEA Conduct and Culture Council to provide oversight of conduct and culture matters, root causes and remediation required across the region
• Legal entity reporting and responses to the regulators on conduct and culture related topics in collaboration with Risk and Compliance
• Implementation of remediation initiatives identified as part of the FCA 5 Questions review
• In cooperation with Compliance and Ethics, refresh the conduct risk metrics to reflect the full spectrum of market, client and personal conduct risk.
• Reporting to the EMEA Senior Risk and Control Committee on a quarterly basis and UK legal entities on annual basis. Providing support to EMEA legal entities for reporting to their governing bodies
• Advise on relevant Tier II and III policies and procedures in line with global policies
• Redesign the reporting process to the various governance bodies to simplify management information flow, focusing on provision of analysis and insight to the UK Legal Entity governance structure
• Timely implementation of remediation of audit, compliance monitoring and self-identified issues
• Build effective relationships with global and legal entity stakeholders and the 1LOD control teams to facilitate efficient and effective conduct and culture controls across the region
• Interact with the Communications and training teams to develop effective awarenesss and training programmes
• Work closely with the EMEA Chief Controls Officer to identify opportunities for process and control improvements and best practice adoption across the UK Banking Legal Entities and the wider organisation
• Industry liaison and participation in industry working groups
• Resides in the business and manages first line of defense regulatory oversight management efforts as they relate to complex regulatory and policy requirements, program and project development.
• Thorough knowledge of Financial Services rules and regulations.
• Solid understanding of Conduct Risk Management and best practices.
• Excellent problem solving, analytical ability, oral and written communication skills.
• The ability to handle stressful situations with internal clients and regulators, while maintaining a professional approach to problem solving.
• Ability to effectively deal with senior management as well as Regulators
• Strong interpersonal skills to influence and impact business decisions over which the incumbent has no direct authority.
• Bachelor’s degree and minimum of 7 years’ experience within financial services
• Confident, self-starter with the ability to work with minimal supervision.
• Takes initiative, accepts challenges, grows business acumen, and establishes/sustains internal/external networks and relationships in a complex organisational environment
What we can offer you:
• Challenging, fun and supportive environment
• 25 days holiday (in addition to Bank Holidays) plus opportunity to purchase up to 5 extra days
• Highly competitive benefits package including pension and private medical cover
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: United Kingdom-Greater London-London
Job: General Mgmt / Admin
Internal Jobcode: 70399
Organization: EMEA IS REG Change Area Mgmt-HR16447
Requisition Number: 1911378