At BNY Mellon, cybersecurity is a top priority for both technology and the business. The members of the Information Security Division are on constant alert, using their creativity and knowledge of cybersecurity, technology and business processes to develop and deliver creative solutions. In this fast-paced environment, staff collaborate to respond to current risks, while identifying and anticipating future threats. Our cyber capabilities encompass the full spectrum of services from Cyber Operations (SOC, Cyber Threat Intelligence, Vulnerability Management, Cyber Incident Response, Penetration Testing & Red Teaming, Cyber Analytics & Fraud, and Insider threat) to Cyber Architecture and Engineering (Network, Platform, Cloud, and Applications Security). Together with the CISO and his leadership team, staff provide a robust set of cyber services that provide full scope protection and response capabilities across the BNY Mellon enterprise. We help our businesses, the bank’s executive team, and our board of directors understand cybersecurity risk and the steps that must be taken to create and maintain a secure environment that drives innovation.
This position is within Security Monitoring / SOC Team, who Continuously provides analysis and monitoring of the BNY Mellon environment and systems to identify suspected malicious or other unauthorized activity across our systems and networks.
- Provides first level response for security events including but not limited to intrusion detection, malware infections, denial of service attacks, privileged account misuse and network breaches. The event management includes triage, correlation and enrichment of individual events to either rule out as false positive, trigger standard detective and corrective responses, or escalating as a security incident.
- Creates and maintain system documentation for security event processing. Expands the usage of security monitoring tools to improve the security of the environment based on business use cases or changes in threat landscape, root causes from security incident response, or output from security analytics
- Collects, analyses, and enriches event information and perform threat or target analysis duties.
- Interprets, analyses, and reports all events and anomalies in accordance with Computer Network Directives, including initiating, responding, and reporting discovered events.
- Manages and executes multi-level responses and addresses reported or detected incidents.
- Providing reporting and metrics around security monitoring by designing dashboards for asset owners and management consumption.
- Coordinates and distributes directives, vulnerability, and threat advisories to identified consumers.
- Develops focused reporting and briefings for advanced cyber threats and activity to various teams and leaders.
- Create TTPs, AARs, and ability to do deep dive investigations on complex incidents.
- Improving the service level for security operations and monitoring. Creating and maintaining system documentation for security event processing.
- Act as Subject Matter Experts for analysis functions, providing support on more involved cases and guiding the activity of other analysts through collaboration act as the lead coordinator for HP’s response to individual information security incidents.
- Act a SME and trainer to T2 and T1 personal as needed/ Mentor security analysts regarding risk management, information security controls, incident analysis, incident response, SIEM monitoring, and other operational tasks in support of technologies managed by the Security Operations Center. Provide technical and thought leadership within SOC by:
- teaching other SOC Analysts about both traditional and unconventional ways to detect, analyze, and mitigate security incidents and other anomalies
- regularly recommending new SOC practices and approaches to address program improvement
- Development of Data Dictionaries for log sources to confirm which fields and values are needed or useful for Security Monitoring
- Review of available logs to confirm there are adequate quantities and content to usefully provide Security Monitoring
- Review current tooling to identify incremental monitoring opportunities, and communicate needs to engineering teams that support SOC
- Triage SIEM alerts to determine False Positive, Incident, or Technology Misconfiguration
- Perform research at the request of Incident Response teams
- Documenting case activities in the system of record
- Documenting current case notes sufficient for effective shift handover, as well as reviewing current status via phone call or in person
- Engaging in all forms of communications (e.g. phone calls, instant-messaging, web page updates) to ensure cases are efficiently investigated by all approved parties, regardless of what company, department, or team they are a member of
- Author Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), such as:
- Incident detection “use case” needs, logic, and implementation methods
- “use case” alert triage workflows
- training documentation
- Recommending, then implementing approved program improvements
Other SOC Analyst tasks as required Consults with other IT areas and the businesses and provides professional support for major components of the company's information security infrastructure. Contributes to the development and implementation of security architecture, standards, procedures and guidelines for multiple platforms. Consults with the business and operational infrastructure personnel regarding new and existing technologies. Recommends new security tools to management and reports and provides guidance and expertise in their implementation. Reviews and analyzes complex data and information to provide insights, conclusions and actionable recommendations provides direction and guidance on reports and analyses and ensures recommendations are aligned with customer/business needs and capabilities. Ensures that all significant security concerns are addressed. Recommends course of action to mitigate risk and ensures that appropriate standards are established and published. Contributes to the achievement of area objectives.
- Bachelor's Degree in a technical discipline with a minimum of 8 years related technical experience is required for a level 3 role. An additional 2 years of experience may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- Background in hands on computer and networking experience to include an understanding of TCP/IP, routing, and major Internet protocols.
- Understanding of network, desktop and server technologies, including experience with network intrusion methods, network containment, segregation techniques and technologies such as Intrusion Detection Systems (IDS) and Intrusion Protection Systems (IPS)
- 5+ years Intrusion monitoring, incident response and mitigation, web application security, threat research or intelligence analysis.
- Ability to read and write scripts in various languages. (php, ksh, powershell, SQL, and similar)
- 5+ years using ArcSight, Splunk, and/or similar SIEM experience.
- Candidates must be willing to work in an on-call situation as well as needed per rotation.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to provide technical thought leadership on security incident investigation calls with other technology teams, and the ability to translate complex technical concepts into plain English for consumption by non-technical audiences
- Self-motivated and able to work in an independent manner.
- Experience and proficiency in a various toolsets and best practices.
Bachelor's degree in computer science or a related discipline, or equivalent work experience required, advanced degree preferred, 8-10 years of experience in information security or related technology experience required, experience in the securities or financial services industry is a plus.
For over 230 years, the people of BNY Mellon have been at the forefront of finance, expanding the financial markets while supporting investors throughout the investment lifecycle. BNY Mellon can act as a single point of contact for clients looking to create, trade, hold, manage, service, distribute or restructure investments & safeguards nearly one-fifth of the world's financial assets. BNY Mellon remains one of the safest, most trusted and admired companies. Every day our employees make their mark by helping clients better manage and service their financial assets around the world. Whether providing financial services for institutions, corporations or individual investors, clients count on the people of BNY Mellon across time zones and in 35 countries and more than 100 markets. It's the collective ambition, innovative thinking and exceptionally focused client service paired with a commitment to doing what is right that continues to set us apart. Make your mark: bnymellon.com/careers.
Client Technology Solutions provides our business partners with client-focused, technology-based solutions. These enhance their ability to be successful through world-class software solutions and leading-edge infrastructure. Client Technology Solutions provides employees with the tools and resources to enhance their professional qualifications and careers.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Minorities/Females/Individuals With Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
Primary Location: United States-Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Internal Jobcode: 45155
Job: Information Technology
Organization: Information Security-HR11724
Requisition Number: 1911888