BNY Mellon Careers
Senior Analyst, Accounting
The role is accountable to deliver through effective, efficient Sarbanes-Oxley, regulatory compliant finance processes, in accordance with local and consolidated GAAP, useable, accurate and timely financial information from the point of transaction through to financial close and external reporting period (month, quarter, and annual) for two legal entities.
S/he provides support for the end to end Record to Report accounting processes, required to transform data into information for reporting purposes. This includes: processing of basic general ledger events, financial transactions, as assigned; account reconciliations, identifying and analyzing exceptions; and providing support to the department for R2R activities such as audits, the fulfillment of ad hoc requests, and other special project activities, as assigned.
1. Support team members and direct supervisor to perform standard and basic accounting processes over the course of the reporting period, including but not limited to:
- Prepare/post monthly journal entries for business and inter-company transactions
- Reconcile general ledger accounts, including bank accounts
- Perform monthly accruals, adjustments, and intercompany transactions
- Direct involvement with the month end, quarter-end and the year-end close
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual sales tax filings, including preparation of journal entries and account reconciliations relating to sales tax
- Federal and provincial monthly, quarterly and annual regulatory reporting
- Internal monthly, quarterly and annual financial reporting
- Financial statement preparation and data collection for annual external audit
- Perform basic research of financial data to support senior colleagues in the analysis of financial information.
- Identify and resolve exceptions
2. Support data integrity and posting/preparation of financial information to ensure completeness, accuracy, timeliness and accessibility. Maintain financial information related to work assignments for the purpose of providing required documentation and/or processing information.
3. Develop a basic business understanding of the financial applications and tools and utilize them to perform work, including the general ledger application and the BNYM chart of accounts. Run published queries and reports from applicable financial systems; and how to use these and other reports routinely.
4. Perform ad hoc and special projects and assignments, as required. Understand, participate, and comply with standard demand management and service management processes.
1. S/he must have strong organizational skills to manage the prioritization of their workload. The individual requires good analytical skills to research transactions/variance to reach appropriate conclusions. S/he must comprehend basic finance and accounting terminology and concepts and have the ability to apply these concepts within the working environment. S/he must be able to perform traditional accounting tasks and procedures involving a basic level of complexity.
2. S/he must be able to analyze and solve basic problems, particularly in the management of their personal work load and the analysis and reconciliation of general ledger accounts. S/he must be able to handle queries through calls and email follow ups. S/he must be able to perform accounting processes with supervision.
3. S/he must have solid communications skills, both written and oral, to communicate concisely with his/her supervisor and colleagues, on their own team, or with other teams in the Regional and Global Shared Service Centers. S/he will draw on their written communication skills to compile thorough, accurate, neat documentation, findings, and work papers. S/he must have strong work ethic, maturity, with solid collaboration and teamwork skills. S/he must be able to work successfully with all team mates and peers.
1. Bachelor’s degree, preferably in accounting; or equivalent work experience
2. 0-3 years of work experience preferred; 2-3 years experience working the full accounting cycle from transaction through to the trial balance preferred
3. Experience with accounting applications such as PeopleSoft
4. Strong written and oral communications skills in English
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: Canada-Ontario-Toronto
Internal Jobcode: 85082
Requisition Number: 1912319