Newton Investment Management is one of BNY Mellon Investment Management’s specialists, and they are a London-based global investment house with expertise in a range of disciplines, including global, regional and emerging-market equities, multi-asset strategies, absolute return investing and global bonds. A global, thematic approach to investment helps them achieve long-term perspective on global financial markets and economies, and identify areas of long-term risk and opportunity. Their belief is that responsible investment is better investment for clients and they consider ESG (environmental, social and governance) issues in relation to every company in which they invest. Newton is part of BNY Mellon Investment Management, one of the world's largest investment managers.
What’s on Offer?
Newton is a professional, friendly and collegiate place to work offer a number of benefits like a 12% pension contribution, flexible working hours and opportunities to progress. The firm looks to attract individuals who are keen to work as part of a team, in a meritocratic environment, and who are driven to help make the organisation a great place to work. Newton employees are bright, inquisitive, thoughtful and collaborative. They are highly motivated to deliver performance and service to clients. Newton prides itself on being an employer of choice, with a commitment to diversity.
BNY Mellon Investment Management:
At BNY Mellon Investment Management, we believe the right results begin with being relevant to every client, whether it is engaging with them to create solutions, offering diversified strategies or providing insights for better-informed decisions.
That is why we designed a model built around investors’ needs to offer the best of both worlds: world-class investment firms with best-of-breed talent and unique cultures combined with the global scale and strength of BNY Mellon Investment Management. We connect investors with opportunities across every major asset class, globally. Today, we have eight investment firms, one of which is Newton Investment Management.
We believe this is how investing should be and we are looking for talent to help us deliver on our promise.
Responsible for stock selection, focused on the Healthcare/Consumer industries, through rigorous investment analysis techniques. Delivering clear and accountable investment recommendations that support the portfolio construction effort, to agreed performance metrics.
• To deliver clear and accountable equity investment recommendations, to agreed performance metrics.
• To follow independent thought processes to reach well-argued investment conclusions.
• To continually refine and improve the stock selection analysis and investment process.
• Maintain a thorough knowledge of the process, products, trends and developments within the industry researched.
• To develop a clear view of the competitive position of both companies and products and of the capabilities of management.
• To have an understanding of the strategic position of the industry within the global economy.
• Able to work independently and collaboratively in a team.
• To actively contribute to the relevant internal Investment meetings, thematic research, ESG, the research recommended lists and our strategic and economic frameworks.
• To make clear and focused stock recommendations suitable for the investment requirements of the house and maximising the return for our clients.
• To lead on the investment ideas initiated, while involving colleagues in the debate.
• To support investment ideas with timely and well-written research and to be responsive to research prioritisations.
• To represent the team and Newton, internally and externally to clients and stakeholders.
• To manage meetings with companies, ensuring that the meeting is well run, has appropriate attendance and facilitates an effective dialogue. Meeting notes must be circulated in accordance with House procedures.
• To undertake research which is creative, imaginative and value additive and not merely maintenance-oriented.
• To present investment information to Clients and Consultants in a clear and concise manner, tailoring the information presented to the audience's requirements.
• To liaise with Sales and Marketing as required.
Provide accurate and appropriate management information to Senior Management.
Comply with all corporate policies and procedures including Health and Safety Policy.
Financial (if appropriate)
• Manage any delegated budget in a manner that will best serve Newton’s best interests.
• Provide the Finance Department with monthly tracking and projection information.
TCF, Regulatory and Compliance Responsibilities
Be aware, maintain knowledge and adhere to the relevant regulatory and legal obligation of the function managed, including local and wider group policies. This should include an understanding, and the appropriate application, of the FCA requirements, the Six Consumer Outcomes and Newton’s TCF commitments. Report any suspected breaches to the Compliance or Legal departments, as appropriate, immediately on discovery.
Monitor, document and report business risks and internal controls of the function managed, alerting Senior Management immediately of any significant changes.
• Maintaining and testing a current and effective continuity plan to ensure an appropriate response to any disruption to systems, information services, communications and office facilities.
Staff (if appropriate)
• Provide clear direction and leadership to teams managed.
• Set professional example to staff.
• Support and encourages staff development, objective setting and appraisal.
• Ensure adequate succession plans are in place for the functions managed.
Generic Staff Responsibilities:
• Comply with all BNY Mellon corporate policies and procedures, including HR policies and procedures, applicable to BNY Mellon.
• Alert management including the Chief Risk Officer and / or the EMEA Chief Risk Officer immediately of any significant changes to business risks and internal control effectiveness.
• Notify management and/or the Chief Compliance and Ethics Officer and Head of International Compliance immediately on discovery of any material regulatory breach.
• Comply with all Security and Health & Safety policies and procedures operating within the business.
Shared Values and Core Competencies (required for all roles):
1. Client Focus – demonstrates clear understanding of importance of effective customer service, internally and externally.
2. Trust - evidences high standards of integrity and openness.
3. Teamwork – demonstrates ability to work effectively as a member of a team, a collaborative style, and understands the value of diversity.
4. Outperformance – evidences the ability to exceed expectations of others.
1. Global Acumen - Developing and incorporating an understanding of the competitive global business environment as well as an awareness of economic, social and political trends that impact the organization’s global strategy.
2. Establishing Strategic Direction - Establishing and committing to a long-range course of action to accomplish a long-range goal or vision after analyzing factual information and assumptions taking into consideration resources, constraints and organizational values.
3. Developing Strategic Relationships - Using appropriate interpersonal styles and communication methods to influence, collaborate and build effective relationships with business partners (e.g., peers, functional partners, external vendors and alliance partners).
4. Building Organisational Talent - Attracting, developing and retaining talented individuals. Providing timely coaching, guidance and feedback to help others maximize their potential and meet key accountabilities. Using appropriate methods and interpersonal styles to develop motivate and guide a team toward successful outcomes and attainment of business objectives.
5. Change Leadership - Continuously seeking (or encouraging others to seek) opportunities for different and innovative approaches to addressing organizational problems and opportunities.
6. Client Orientation - Cultivating strategic client relationships and ensuring that the client perspective is the driving force behind all value-added business activities.
7. Driving Execution - Translating strategy into operational reality. Breaking down strategic priorities or business initiatives into key tasks and identifying accountabilities. Aligning communication, people, culture, processes, resources and systems to ensure effective implementation and delivery of required results.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: United Kingdom-Greater London-London
Job: Asset Management
Internal Jobcode: 51474
Requisition Number: 1912981