The Corporate Secretarial and Disclosure Group of BNY Mellon is seeking a Managing Counsel to join its legal department in the APAC region. This position will report to the Managing Director, Deputy General Counsel and Corporate Secretary.
The Counsel’s primary role will be to provide Company Secretary oversight, management, coverage and advice for all APAC legal entities including other non-US BNY Mellon companies controlled or managed from Asia where the responsibility does not lie with US Legal – including APAC Investment Management, APAC Branches, Representative Offices and subsidiaries. This position may also include the management of paraprofessionals within the larger group.
- Serve as liaison with outside law firms, and represents the company in relation to local company registries and related local government licensing departments.
- Sit on various management committees acting as regional company secretary.
- Serve as the in-house legal counsel providing legal advice to senior management and others regarding governance proposals or anticipated actions.
- Prepare pertinent reports including maintenance and implementation of policies and procedures.
- Review and make recommendations on proposed contracts and complies with all legal requirements.
- Support regional management and APAC Legal Department regarding any regional corporate projects.
- Participate in the development of methods to attain goals and obtain grants within legal guidelines.
- 10-12 years of legal experience with a major law firm or relevant in-house experience, with a focus on corporate governance and/or regulatory matters
- Strong communication skills
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a strong focus on collaboration
- Exercises good judgment in consulting colleagues, clients and management and interacts well with colleagues, clients and management
- Proven leadership abilities
- Acute attention to detail
- Experience managing diverse high functioning teams
- Proficiency speaking and reading Chinese would be preferred
- Admitted to practice in either Hong Kong, England, Australia or the U.S.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: China-Hong Kong-Hong Kong
Internal Jobcode: 85116
Organization: Legal Affairs-HR06241
Requisition Number: 1913570