The Head of Investment Risk is a key strategic position to provide oversight over the firm's identification and management of Investment Risk. The Head of Investment Risk reports to the Chief Risk Officer and will be responsible for the ongoing independent oversight and challenge of day-to-day risk management activities for BNY Mellon Investment Management. This global role will oversee a matrix team of risk professionals within the investment firms and wealth management business. This person will also directly manage a team that will conduct independent analysis of the proprietary and fiduciary investment risk in these businesses.
BNY Mellon Investment Management is one of the world’s largest asset and wealth managers, managing over $1.8 trillion of assets for its clients. As the global investment management arm of BNY Mellon, one of the world’s major financial services groups, BNY Mellon Investment Management prides itself on its unshakable commitment to financial stewardship, investing responsibly on behalf of our clients for collective prosperity.
BNY Mellon Investment Management’s client-driven model is built on a combination of expertise and capabilities from our investment firms and wealth management business. The firm’s eight investment firms offer a diverse range of strategies in multi-asset, alternatives, liability-driven investment, active equity, active fixed income, passive and cash. The Investment Management Firms include: Alcentra, ARX, Dreyfus, Insight, Mellon, Newton, Siguler Guff, and Walter Scott.
- Oversee and challenge the independent investment risk framework and processes adopted by the independent investment risk functions within each investment firm
- Leads the corporate level assessment, monitoring and reporting on investment and other risks inherent to business activities including fiduciary, reputational, business and strategic risks
- Effectively engages with other leaders at BNY Mellon including Investment Management business leaders, Investment Risk staff, as well as with other Risk and Compliance disciplines, ensuring appropriate oversight while providing proper balance to support line of business objectives, governance and regulatory expectations
- Serves on Risk Management Committees and may advise or serve on other committees as needed; facilitates and encourages informed and constructive debate on key issues
Serves as check and challenge for processes implemented by Investment Management
Provides challenge over the Investment Management Risk Appetite Statements, in alignment with the Company Risk Appetite Statement, and application of and adherence to the risk framework policies, processes, measures and limits
Establishes protocols for assessing changes within Investment Management that have material impacts to BNY Mellon’s risk profile, appropriate levels of approval for the change and how risk associated with the change will be measured
Appropriately escalates issues to the Risk, Compliance and business line or legal entity management teams, as needed
Leads, recruits, directs, motivates and develops the team, maximizing individual contribution, professional growth and ability to function effectively with colleagues as a team and/or lead
Maintain familiarity with current and emerging regulation of Investment Risk and with regulatory expectations and obligations of the Investment Risk function
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Master’s degree (including but not limited to MBA) preferred
- 20+ years of total work experience with at least 10 years in management preferred
- Experience in asset management and wealth management risk
- Ability to interact and influence executives at the highest levels in the organization
- Ability to analyze complex information, determine appropriate actions, and be resolute about actions if challenged
- Proven experience building and maintaining strong relationships with regulators
- Exceptional collaborator and leader through influence; strong track record executing change within a global matrixed business structure and reporting environment
- Proven experience making decisions, leading consensus-building, negotiating, and executing enterprise-wide risk programs; demonstrated ability to effectively drive accountability and results
- Proven leadership and management capabilities with success motivating staff to perform at a consistently high bar in a matrixed environment
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Minorities/Females/Individuals With Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
Our ambition is to build the best global team – one that is representative and inclusive of the diverse talent, clients and communities we work with and serve – and to empower our team to do their best work. We support wellbeing and a balanced life, and offer a range of family-friendly, inclusive employment policies and employee forums.
Primary Location: United States-New York-New York
Internal Jobcode: 85177
Requisition Number: 1915109