Finance Chief Data Office is a newly formed team to establish the data governance framework across Finance. The team partners with the Data Strategy and Digital groups to execute the data disciplines. We supports data consumers to drive data quality across Finance functions, including accounting, regulatory and financial reporting, CFO teams and corporate treasury. We aim to provide transparency of our data asset and actively manage the asset to contribute to the fulfilment of regulatory requirements and creation of operational efficiency. The CDO function plays a critical role in the transformation of the organization by connecting data, technology, processes and controls.
The Business and Data Architect plays a key role in structuring the Finance in terms of its governance structure, transformation, and data management. This person aligns strategic goals and objectives with key Finance processes and IT initiatives. The primary focus is the business analysis frameworks, data governance/ data management framework, technical data modeling framework, Finance operations and related networks that link these aspects together. The Business Architect works to develop an integrated view across Finance using a repeatable approach, cohesive framework, and available industry standard techniques.
This is a critical role in translating business needs into the information required to deliver solutions. The role will be a key leader across multiple projects working with Technical Data Architects in understanding architectural directions, gathering and analyzing business requirements, and developing the appropriate data structures. In addition, the role will have significant influence in Finance Data as a Service initiatives. In the long term, this position will play a key role in the transition from traditional reporting to a more dynamic, real-time analytics environment ensuring a foundation to deliver information to internal consumers at all levels in the organization.
This staff position is expected to work with large amount of information (structured and unstructured), interact with various stakeholders (technical and non-technical) in order to come up with the Finance level data model:
· Define (with the support from Data Champions across Finance) the types of metadata that will be captured and shared, including business, technical, and operational metadata that impacts Finance
· Works closely with technical architects to deliver business architecture artifacts needed for Finance data model, Issue Inventory, Deliverable/reporting inventory, Data transformation inventory, and other identified data assets.
· Consult, facilitate understanding and translate data requirements into logical, physical and semantic layer models across the analytical data environment
· Ensure data structures are designed for flexibility to support future business needs
· Profile and analyze source system data to determine data relationships, design constructs, consistency and quality.
· Enable and guide analytics user community in the understanding, location and selection of appropriate data sources to achieve key business goals
· Ensure that data designs follow architectural best practices and appropriate business rules
· Be an advocate for best practices while balancing business value and reasonable practicality
· Create and maintain critical data documentation and metadata that allows data to be understood and leveraged as a shared asset.
· Analyze and evaluate data definition and modeling environment providing key recommendations for improvement. Assist in defining data modeling standards, and foundational best practices
· Identify gaps and opportunities with regard to data governance and data ownership, and provide recommendations for improvements incorporating best practices
· Facilitate understanding of high quality data management discipline throughout the corporation
· Automate repeatable process for maintaining the Finance Data model
· Advocate and drive adoption of “best practices” to ensure standardization of business architecture outputs across Finance
The staff member will be expected to cultivate relationships with staff or contractors in: Technology, Data Strategy, Data Operations, Finance and Corporate Treasury to ensure efficient identification, collection, and use of data along with the management of the associated data governances processes.
Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
Degree in math, engineering, statistics, computational finance or economics preferred.
Work toward or completion of MBA, CFA, or CPA/CA preferred.
7-10 years of total work experience preferred.
Experience with finance data set and process: Balance Sheet, P&L, Consolidations, Client Product Profitability, liquidity analytics and reporting, interest rate risk management, asset-liability management, regulatory reporting, is strongly preferred.
Knowledge of the structuring of data environments and applications that use big data processes is a preferred.
Some experience with Business Intelligence data management and visualization applications specific to Hadoop big data and the ability to use SQL/Hive and other computer languages used in big data for analysis and structuring is preferred.
Competency with some leading data profiling tools (such as SQL, BI tools, etc.)
Experience in Data Analysis, Data Architecture and/or Data Warehousing; preferably in a shared or enterprise data environment
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Minorities/Females/Individuals With Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
Primary Location: United States-New York-New York
Internal Jobcode: 70117
Requisition Number: 1916806