Overview Of BNY Mellon:
BNY Mellon is a global financial services company focused on helping clients manage and service their financial assets, operating in 35 countries and serving more than 100 markets. BNY Mellon is a leading provider of financial services for institutions, corporations and high-net-worth individuals, providing superior asset management and wealth management, asset servicing, issuer services, clearing services and treasury services through a worldwide client-focused team.
Team Description: (Overview of the team)
The Regulation, Supervision and Corporate Affairs | EMEA team manages BNY Mellon’s response to global regulatory reform supports the company’s policy and regulatory priorities around the world and works closely with Public Policy, Risk, Compliance and Finance functions, and each line of business, to help BNY Mellon navigate through increased regulatory focus and change and to manifest itself in regulatory intervention.
The Regulation, Supervision and Corporate Affairs | EMEA team provides legal advice, counsel and support for:
(i) supervisory and regulatory communications and non-standard supervisory issues in partnership with
Compliance, Office of Regulatory Relations, and lines of business.
(ii) enterprise wide regulatory change, strategic change and remediation projects,
(iii) recovery, resolution and operational resiliency matters, and
(iv) prudential and regulatory matters for EMEA Treasury and Finance.
The Regulation, Supervision and Corporate Affairs | EMEA team also supports the Public Policy team in advocacy efforts with regulators, policymakers and trade associations to ensure outcomes for BNY Mellon and the industry.
Job Purpose: (What the job role involves)
This lawyer will be an experienced lawyer with responsibility for legal, regulatory and supervisory matters for the subsidiaries and branches of The Bank of New York Mellon in EMEA.
You will be responsible for (i) advice and counsel on supervisory and regulatory issues for the subsidiaries and branches of The Bank of New York Mellon in EMEA, and (ii) legal support for EMEA regulatory change implementation and remediation projects. Although the role spans all business lines, it will primarily be focused on the Investment Services & Markets business areas.
You will coordinate work with other lawyers in the EMEA Legal department, and jurisdictional specific lawyers, and with the Office of Regulatory Relations to deliver a high standard of legal advice that is tailored to BNYM’s business models.
Responsibilities: (Key parts to the job role)
Responsibilities will include:
• legal support and strategic advice for regulatory matters including in relation to responsiveness, content and quality of responses to requests and requirements of national regulators and supervisors;
• legal support, advice and guidance for The Bank of New York implementation projects for regulatory remediation, regulatory change programmes and compliance with national legislation and regulation in EMEA;
• thought leadership regarding regulatory relationships and requirements; and
• review and/or drafting of internal policies and position papers and external comment and response letters in connection with regulatory proposals and industry initiatives .
The Counsel may advise management and engage with regulators and external advisers including legal counsel and consultants and may be required to represent the Regulation, Supervision and Corporate Affairs | EMEA team (and wider EMEA Legal) in key committees.
Key relationships / stakeholders:
• Regulation, Supervision and Corporate Affairs | EMEA team members in EMEA and globally;
• ORR in EMEA and globally;
• LOB and non-LOB coverage lawyers in the Legal division including in relation to departmental initiatives and responsibilities;
• Compliance colleagues;
• Credit and Risk colleagues;
• Finance and Treasury colleagues:
• Office of Recovery and Resolution Planning: and
• Colleagues in the Corporate Project Management Office.
Requirements (what we are looking for):
The successful candidate will have at least 3 years PQE with a legal background in bank and/or broker dealer supervisory and regulatory matters in a UK or European regulatory agency or financial institution or law firm. Desired technical experience includes:
• Interpretation guidance in respect of statutes, directives, regulations and regulatory guidance;
• Advice to various levels of management on UK and European regulation eg AIFMD, UCITS, MIFID, BRRD;
• Preparation of communications to regulators;
• Assistance to business lines in respect of regulatory change programmes including legal impact and gap analyses and supervisory trends;
• Assistance with preparation of policies and procedures to ensure compliance with applicable requirements;
• Drafting of contractual revisions required to comply with regulatory requirements;
• Supporting responses to supervisory/enforcement actions and advising on remediation programmes;
• Proven ability to deliver and manage legal support for regulatory change and implementation projects;
• Experience of managing outside counsel on major deliverables; and
• Experience of participation in relevant industry bodies and informal peer networking forums.
The candidate should also have:
• Strong organisational skills;
• Excellent communication and writing skills;
• Demonstrable ability to quickly analyse problems and to devise and deliver appropriate solutions;
• Credible and strong stakeholder management experience, at all levels, with the ability to prioritise, manage expectations, obtain stakeholder buy-in and escalate appropriately;
• Flexible and adaptable working style to react to changing priorities;
• Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in a team and across business partner functions; and
• Self-motivation to drive delivery against objectives.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: United Kingdom-Greater London-London
Internal Jobcode: 85115
Organization: Legal Affairs-HR06241
Requisition Number: 1918344