Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) at BNY Mellon fulfils an essential role providing an enterprise view of our aggregate risks and associated exposures and appetite. ERM is part of the larger Enterprise-Wide Risk Management (EWRM) function which brings together other key enterprise risk functions such as Risk Framework, Resiliency Risk, Risk Assurance and 3rd Party Risk.
The Corporate Operational Risk Management (CORM) team is dedicated to providing direction, guidance, transparency, tools, training, oversight and challenge to help businesses throughout the firm effectively manage operational risk. CORM also leads the design and execution of the scenario analysis program.
While reporting into EWRM, this is a senior leadership role for EMEA Risk Management, covering both the Enterprise (ERM) and Operational (CORM) risk frameworks and ensuring Legal Entity consistency and conformance. The Director role is based in London with an additional local reporting line into the EMEA CRO. A key objective is to provide a cohesive view of risk across the EMEA Legal Entities and to formulate, coordinate and maintain an effective enterprise and operational risk framework for EMEA. The Director will serve as the senior leader, central contact and “risk spokesperson” for all risk framework activities within EMEA.
The role will include extensive senior management exposure and working collaboratively across the wider EMEA Risk Management and global EWRM and CORM organisations, as well as with the different Lines of Business and Functions within BNY Mellon to promote a strong risk culture and continuously evolve and improve our ability to measure and monitor risks in a proactive and meaningful fashion.
• Drive the development and implementation of complex projects aligned with an enterprise-wide risk management framework that is undergoing a strategic transformation.
• Own the regional Risk framework, methodology and requirements for EMEA, including meeting local regulatory obligations.
• Develop common procedures and processes for EMEA to drive consistent application of the Enterprise and Operational Risk Frameworks across business lines/legal entities.
• Set the Risk framework strategy for EMEA including defining best practice internally and in the industry.
• Oversee the implementation of the Enterprise and Operational Risk frameworks in EMEA, coordinating the execution of elements as required e.g. RCSA’s, event reporting, emerging risks, risk appetite, capital modelling, scenario analysis
• Contribute to developing risk model methodologies.
• Assess all local regulation and regulatory action on Risk framework matters, determine and communicate the effect on our businesses.
• Collaborate with management on formulating and developing the Enterprise and Operational Risk frameworks to drive better execution of strategy and decision-making with regards to risk issues.
• Develop, coordinate and provide Risk framework related training in partnership with CORM
Requirements (what we are looking for)
The successful candidate will be a seasoned Risk practitioner with significant experience and knowledge of both enterprise and operational risk, including framework enhancement, risk identification, measurement and appetite most likely gained in a similar senior role at another institution. Expert knowledge of risk frameworks across risk disciplines.
• Bachelor’s degree in business or related quantitative discipline and/or a significant track record
• Relevant experience in a similar ERM or related function (10+ years minimum) with an emphasize on risk appetite, scenario analysis, limits frameworks and associated quantification of risk
• Considerable Risk Frameworks and Operational Risk Management experience
• Familiarity with ERM policy, procedure and regulatory expectation with the ability to bring extensive industry experience and best-practice knowledge to bear.
• Acknowledged “thought leader” in prior roles - setting direction and leading strategic change.
• Able to work with data and to analyse and present information in an impactful way for consumption by a senior audience (risk reporting etc.). Supported by strong analytical and quantitative capabilities, including advanced knowledge of MS Office – Excel for data capture, analysis etc., PowerPoint for presentation etc.
• Experience with regulatory expectation and interaction is a plus
• Expert communicator, able to explain complex concepts in a meaningful way. Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively interact with senior management.
• A proactive, self-starter able to illustrate an ability to run with complex projects with tight delivery timescales and senior management expectations
• Detail oriented with a recognition of the audience and importance of accuracy. Able to collaborate with risk experts to ensure a clear explanation of risks and metrics can be shared across the organization to ensure accurate decision m
Enterprise and Operational Risk Management Responsibilities
Manages specialized teams of professional staff focusing on complex enterprise and operational risk management. Manages the day-to-day activities of the specialty function. Responsible for the ongoing management/maintenance of the risk management strategy and framework, and for performing oversight of enterprise and operational risk management activities, including risk identification, risk appetite, stress testing, risk-based capital, risk aggregation and enterprise-wide risk management reporting as well as execution against the operational risk framework, including scenario analysis, RCSA, Operational Risk Events, KRIs. Responsible for the integrity of the specialty's adherence to the enterprise and operational risk management framework.
The following responsibilities are discharged more broadly by Risk Management at BNY Mellon.
• Consults on the establishment of the enterprise risk management framework, the enterprise risk appetite and the enterprise risk management policies and procedures. Implements protocols for enforcing and monitoring compliance and assigns routine monitoring responsibilities to professional staff. Directs the development of reports and status updates and delivers these to management
• Directs the triage process to categorize risks as tolerable or presenting a high enough level of risk to require action. Implements the prescribed action, as directed. Leads efforts to develop a strong enterprise risk culture and ensure adherence to the enterprise risk management framework.
• Uses relationships with roles in Risk & Compliance to increase the likelihood of timely completion of risk related deliverables and issue resolution. Escalates issues to more senior managers.
• Recruits, directs, motivates and develops professional staff, maximizing their individual contribution, their professional growth and their ability to function effectively with their colleagues as a team.
• Manages a regional team of professional staff.
• Responsible for achievement of team goals. Ensures team is equipped to operationalize and attain regional objectives. Manages financial resources of the team (budgets, expenses, etc.).
• Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience is ideally required.
• 10-12 years of total work experience, with 1-3 years of management experience, preferred.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Our ambition is to build the best global team – one that is representative and inclusive of the diverse talent, clients and communities we work with and serve – and to empower our team to do their best work. We support wellbeing and a balanced life, and offer a range of family-friendly, inclusive employment policies and employee forums.
Primary Location: United Kingdom-Greater London-London
Internal Jobcode: 85199
Requisition Number: 2006965